Chapter Six

Chapter 6

“Katia.” I say as soon as I saw her.

“Flo. Hi!” She answers cheerily.

I swallow. My throat feels dry.

I then realize that I hadn’t rehearsed anything.

“Are you alright, Flo? You seem a bit... panicked.” Katia notices in concern.

“Katia,” I say deciding to go straight to the point, “Katia, why didn’t you tell me about you and Mel?”

To my surprise, Katia’s mile widened and she looked like a kid with a bar of chocolate.

“You figured it out?” She asks, positively ecstatic.

Um, okay. Really not the reaction I had been expecting...

“Um... Did you want me to figure out?” I ask, cautiously.

“Well, duh!” She says in that exaggerated way, “Why do you think I made you read my book?”

“I dunn...”

“Flo, it was to make  you aware of Mel and I without betraying Mel’s or Jason’s trust.” She explains impatiently. “Like, how obvious was that!”

“Not... very...”

“Anyway, you’ve understood now.” She concludes warmly.

“I have.” I confirm. 

I turn and see Leslie incoming. Instead of fleeing Katia, I decide to introduce Katia to Leslie. 

“Katia.” I say urgently. “Listen. When Leslie and all her friends come over here, I need you to act. Just go along with everything I say. All right?”

“Um, Flo, I-”

“Katia, I don’t have time to explain. Just go along with it, and you’ll understand later.” Leslie and her friends are nearing and I eye them in a calculating fashion.

“Flo. The one behind Leslie... is Mel.”

I almost spin around, stop myself and my mouth falls open. 

Now Katia is the one hissing, “Act!”

I smile. “The guy from Abercrombie was so cute, don’t you think? And when he was like, “Please forgive my mistake Miss!” Oh!” I imitate the lips up, eyes up, typical popular girl expression, smile and resume. “It was to die for.”

“I thought the guy from Aéropostale was cuter.” Karia says conversationally. “But that girl at the cash register was flirting with him and I’m like, “Honey, you don’t stand a chance.””