Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen.

I stare at my phone which I have been doing for a long time.

I have it.

Asher’s number.

His number!!

Avery is snoring in the sleeping bag next to me. It’s past midnight and there is school tomorrow. I know I will regret staying up this late tomorrow morning but I just can’t help staring at my newest contact.

Asher Corbett. The amazing picture of me and him arm-in-arm which had been taken at the beach. The smiley face next to his name.

I just feel like texting him.

I glance at my clock, 54 minutes past midnight. Not too late. Next to me, Avery grunts and tosses. I decide to go for it.

Me: hey :)

Almost immediately, I get a response.

Asher Corbett: ooh, someone couldn’t resist talking to me ;)

Me: *rolls eyes* whatever

Asher Corbett: what are you doing up at this time?

Me: what are you?

Asher Corbett: texting you

Me: thank you, captain obvious

Asher Corbett: so what are you doing huh?:P

Me: couldn’t sleep ...

Asher Corbett: i never knew ms rosario had given us homework

Me: oh i had done it. come early and meet me in the library tomorrow and you can copy

Asher Corbett: really? oh youre a lifesaver. i love you! <3 natalie’ll be mad though but who gives a shit... ;)

Me: um, why, does she mind?

Asher Corbett: oh she’s just a bit nerdy, no ones perfect! ;)

Me: i would expect that kind of comment from Logan, not you

Asher Corbett: ya, ya. ok, gonna call it a day, see you tomorrow?

Me: at the library, seven thirty. bye!

Asher Corbett: ok bye!

I smile into the thin air. I decide to sleep, then the time will pass fast and before I know it, I will be with Asher again. 

Now I have something to look forward to.

*

“Flo? Is that you?”

Damn.

I had been trying to sneak out of the house and leaving a note to explain my absence but no such luck. 

“Oh, hey Aunt Lyra...”

“Where are you going?” she asks, yawning. 

I wince, glancing upstairs, hoping no one had heard Aunt Lyra since she is speaking very loudly, “Oh, um... Did my mom mention that I am part of Ashwood High math club?”

Aunt Lyra frowns, “Oh, maybe...”

“Well we have morning meetings, you see, and...”

“Math club?” Interrupts Aunt Lyra, “at seven fifteen AM? Wish my Gabriella was as keen as you...”

I smile weakly, “Well, you’ll let my mom know, since I didn’t want to wake her.”

Aunt Lyra nods, still looking mildly confused. “Alright. Have a good day at school, Flo.”