Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

“Eh... hi,” I say awkwardly, “didn’t know you would be coming, hah.”

I can see that Jason does not find this joke as amusing as me. He merely nods and I slam the car door shut, getting into the back with Avery. 

The drive is mostly silence so Katia turns on the music to an uncomfortably loud volume, but I don’t complain, it’s better than having to look at Jason Furber. 

We arrive, and I run out of the car.

“That was awkward,” mutters Avery next to me.

“Shut up,” I answer seeing Jason ad Katia nearing, “We can talk when we get back home.”

“Flo! Flo!” 

I turn and see Leslie. Waving, I grab Avery’s hand and run towards her.

“Is this the friend I have to worry about?” Avery heaves as we run.

“Yes. Just... talk later, remember?” I say as we skid to an unsteady halt.

She simply winks as Leslie greets us, “Hi! Oh! This must be your cousin, Annie! Hi!”

She pulls Avery into a hug and I laugh at the baffled look on Avery’s face.

“Um, my name is Avery...”

“Oh, so sorry!” Leslie apologizes. “So, Logan is not here, but Asher is.”

I see Asher with a pretty blue eyed girl who looks a lot like him, laughing. Instantly, O felt something strange, a weird emotion in me.

“Who’s that?” I ask Leslie, trying to keep my tone friendly.

“Oh, Asher’s twin sister, Natalie,” Clarifies Leslie and I am instantly relieved.

“Come on, Av!” I urge throwing my bag on the sand, kicking of my flip flops and pulling the rubber band off my hair in a swift moment.

I love when my hair flies in the wind, I feel so free, like nothing could go wrong. I run until I reach Asher.

“Glad you could make it,” I say honestly, catching my breath.

“Somebody’s glad to see me,” He jokes hugging me briefly. “This is Natalie, my twin sister.”

“Hey,” I say smiling at her.

“Who’s that?” He asks, nodding at Avery who his in deep conversation with Leslie.

“My cousin. Hey, look!” I gasp, pointing at some random point in the distance.

“What where?” He cranes his neck, trying to follow my finger.

“You don’t see it?” I cover my mouth to prevent a giggle, “Here, come...”

I lead him into the water, noting that he is in only a swimsuit.

“Look!” 

“Where?” Hs looks up, and with a ‘SPLASH!’ he falls face first into the water.

Giggling I run back to Natalie, who holds out her hand which I high-five.

“Hey, no fair, Flo-Flo!” Asher grumbles. “That’s the second sweatshirt you’ve ruined.”

He gets out of the water as I give him my puppy-eyes face.

“Sorry, Ashey.”

“Ashey?”

“Well, it rhymed!” I defend myself lamely.

“Yeah, whatever, my good friend. Hug?”

He holds out his arms, and I hug him pulling away immediately. “Eww, you’re wet!”