Chapter Eighteen

Leslie Valetta

I was sitting in Katia’s car, going to school, when my phone announced that I had a text. When I saw the caller ID I nearly fainted.

Rubia Quinn.

Why the fuck was Rubia texting me after our fight? I thought we were over! But my curiosity wins out as I look at the text.

Hey Les. I know we had a little fight few weeks back but I want you to know that if you just apologize, I’ll be ready to forgive you. Hope you consider it. If not, meet me in the parking lot after lunch today. But take my advice; consider it. -Rubia xx

Fuming, I put my phone away. Rubia thinks I should be the one to apologize, is that it? That is definitely a 'no way'. 

Luckily, Katia and Flo are in front and I am in the backseat so when my phone rings I am able to decline the call without them seeing the caller ID.

"Aren't you going to get that?" Flo asks, twisting in her seat to face me.

"Yeah. Wasn't it your phone?" Inquires Katia who cannot turn around since she is driving.

"Uhm, yeah, it was my brother, I'm gonna text him now," I lie hurriedly.

"You don't have a brother," Flo points out.

Yes. I do have one. But you don't know about him since he is a genius and attending Harvard university  while my parents live in Boston, leaving me and Lena with our former nanny, Rose.

"Um, sorry, meant my sister," I reply smoothly while seeing that Rubia has sent me another text.

I just tried to call you. Answer me, I need to talk to you. ~xx

My fingers shake as I hit the reply button. Flo and Kat are having an animated conversation about some unimportant soul like Josh Hutcherson.

I pause, deciding what to write. But my fingers decide for me.

Rubia. I don't want to talk to you. You and I are finished. 

My lip quivers. I cannot be that heartless. Rubia is my best friend. No.

 I erase what I have written, and instead write just two letters.

OK.

-Flashback-

"We are best friends, right?" Ashlynn asks me, linking her arm in mine.

"No!" My eleven year old self answers."My best friend is Rubia Quinn. You are my second best friend, Ashlynn."

Ashlynn's lips quiver, then she runs away, crying.

-Two years later-

"Yeah, Leslie. Rubia and I are best friends!" A thirteen year old Ashlynn informs me, her arms crossed over her chest. "You're just our friend. Right Rubia?"

Rubia's eyes look uncertain and apologetic but she nods.

I felt water fill my eyes, but I blinked away the tears, not wanting to show it. "I don't care!" I say. "I have a better best friend!"

"Oh yeah? Who is it?" asks Ashlynn, her eyes full of doubt,

"It's... it's... her!" I say, pointing to a brunette walking in the street.

"Uh huh? Let's ask her, then," Ashlynn begins to walk towards the brunette and I let the tears run dow my face. I ran far away.

Ten minutes after, I was sitting in mine and Rubia's favorite place in the woods. It was a kind of circle of trees. I leaned against a tree, crying my eyes out.

"I knew you'd be here," a soft voice interrupted my crying and I saw Rubia. "Hey," she said, sitting down next to me.

"Go away," I sobbed. "Go hang out with your best friend!"

"You are my best friend," Rubia promises, smiling.

I slowly turn to her, wiping my eyes with a grubby hand. "You... you promise?"

Rubia nods.

"Pinky swear."

-End of flashback-

I snap back to reality as Kat lets out a scream. "Oh! Eww was that a squirrel, Flo?"

"No, just a garbage bag. Your eyes are getting worse," Flo remarks coolly.

"Yeah, well I forgot my contacts," Katia defends herself.

Maybe Ashlynn is the real problem, and Rubia is truly a friend.

*

”Where are you going, Les?" Flo asks, as I get up, my tray balanced on my arm.

"To meet Casper." I answer. "See you guys later, maybe." I prepare to leave.

"Leave the tray, we’ll take it for you," Katia offers.

I smile in gratitude. I envy Flo for having Katia as a best friend, instead of Rubia. Katia is just so sweet and genuine. 

I exit the cafeteria and run to the parking lot where I am meeting Rubia. I see her, for once, since our falling out, alone.

I walk towards her.

"Hi!" she says, giving me a hug.

I remain rigid, and push away.  "What do you want, Quinn? It better be fast, don’t waste my time," I snap.

"All in good time," Rubia replies with an irritating smile. 

I remain silent. My blue eyes bore into her black ones until she gives in. "Alright, alright." She glances furtively around her and I cannot deny that I am feeling curious. "Leslie... please don’t judge me. I know you’ll think I’m a total slut and I might even agree with you."

"What did you do again?" I ask resignedly.

"Les... I slept with Jason."

It was like someone had just smacked my face. I didn’t even care, that is how astonished and disgusted I was.

"What?" I cried so loudly that she recoiled. "Jason Furber? Mel’s boyfriend?"

Rubia nodded, not even looking guilty. "We were drunk and high, and..."

"Save it," I spat. "You are dating Matt Danielson, first you tried to make a move on MY boyfriend, and now, here you are hooking up with Jason at the first chance you get! It’s disgusting," I finished, breathing heavily.

Now Rubia’s face showed the tiniest hint of remorse. "You haven’t heard what he has to say, yet. I think you whould go talk to him."

I crossed my arms tightly. "Oh yeah? And why’s that?" I asked her, practically spitting at her.

"Because of Katia."

I know, I know. I haven’t updated in two weeks and it’s a very short chapter. I know, and I am very very sorry. I have been super busy with school, AND have had lots of technical problems (meaning my computer wasnt working for eight days...) . I am so so sorry and i hope you will find it in your hearts to forgive me. 

Next update is coming soon... I hope.

Much love darlings,

-Val

--dedication for my awesome sister, @LoveYourLife123 . GO FAN HER!!-