13

It was another boring morning here at camp Green Lake, another day where i wanna kill anyone who talks to me, especially at this early hour. It's crazy how even in a short amount of time, I've lost count of the days, my statistics already mixed together in a massive blur of days and numbers. It was a nice clear morning of stars, the usual 4am start, but the sky was different, almost as if a day of peace was in store for once. 

I had done my assembly of getting ready that I'm calling a 'morning rountine' for the day. The sky was exceptionally pretty this morning, walking out towards the digging spot for the day. I was calm and at had a strong sense of peacefulness today, and even the boys could tell, as they didn't talk to me because they were too busy studying me. My 'situation' with Alan still confuses me to the point of a headache, but I can't do anything, and besides I'm only here for 16 months and then I can leave and I will never see him ever again. So there is no point anyway. I guess I'll just try to get over this stupid, petty, little crush on him. Shouldn't be that hard. 

I had started digging my hole further away from the rest of the boys as I felt it was a good day to be alone, and isolated from the rest of them. Sometimes a break is for the best and in my situation surrounded by boys at this camp, any break is the best.

I was digging at a relaxed pace today, in sync with Zig. Mr. Sir and Mom soon came around with lunch, I hadn't even realised it was already lunch! The beautiful day was amazing. It had reminded me of one of the days in the Australian summer, when I'd go down to the coast with my dad and the waves would be perfectly rolling, such a stress free environment, where I could truely escape from it all. It was the only real time I got to be me. Out there in the ocean, floating on my board. On the particular days where the ways were serene and rolling almost in slow motion, I'd ride my mini Malibu, cruising on the long board through the water without a simple care. Underneath this exact sky. I could almost feel the water around me at the memory of the days at the beach with my dad. I could almost hear my dad's laughter as we surfed and swam together in the water. But I'm brought back to the world by someone snapping their fingers in front of my face, bringing me out of my daze. 

"Becs, Becs, you alright? You haven't said anything all morning, and you keeping zoning out" Armpit said with a concerned look on his face. I brought my eyes to meet his, slightly smiling, I didn't need words, and he knew I didn't need words. I smiled lightly nodding, giving him the reassurance he needed. He smiled before walking over to the truck for lunch. I grabbed my apple and got my water filled up in silence as all the boys bickered and made fun of Stanley's slow skills with the shovel. Poor kid, really can't catch a break.

I went back to my hole and sat with my legs dangling in, seeing as I was almost done, eating my apple in peace. I was staring out at all the empty space, so much dirt, for miles. It's hard to believe that there ever really was a lake out here, the middle of nowhere. All you can see looking into the distance is the fizzling ground that is obviously burning under the strong heat of the sun. You really would die if you tried to leave this place, there's no water except for at this stupid camp. It really is a place of torture. Should've picked jail.

I shoved my shovel into the deep soil of the ground, for the last few times of the day before quickly measuring my hole with my shovel, to see if I was finished. I started my way back without a word and got into my bathers to have a shower, walking to the showers boys still stop and look, almost as if I'm a foreign entity in my own world. I put a token in the slot and the cold water started up, shocking my system. My sun-kissed skin being hit by the freezing cold cascades of water that dribbled out of the shower head. Quickly washing my hair in the limited time I had to wash myself with the token I had put in. I did a final rinse and turned off the water, the warm air bringing goosebumps to my stunned skin. I dried off and wrapped my towel around me and walked back to the tent. 

Walking into the tent, only Zero was in there. I quickly got changed into my relaxation clothes, and laid down on my cot. I realised I had a lot of time, and I was quite tired, laying on my bed just thinking about the day and its peacefulness I was soon fast asleep, unaware of the time that was passing.

"Olivia" someone was shaking me lightly, and whispering my name, "It's dinner time and I don't want you to miss out" It was X. I sat up rubbing my eyes and yawning. X took my hand gently and lead me to the mess hall, guiding me as I was still waking up, but helping me get there on time so I didn't miss out on my meal. I was still yawning in the line for dinner, once finished in the line, I went to the D-Tent table and sat down with the boys, in my usual spot in between Squid and Zero. I sat through dinner silently and when finished went back to the tent. 

Regretting my nap I was awake way past "Lights Out", sighing in bed I turned over to see all the boys, Armpit wasn't snoring for once, so you could just hear the beautiful sound silence, and the odd chirp of a cricket. All the boys looked so innocent in their sleep, almost as if the bad things that got them into this place fizzled away into nothing and you could see the once innocent child that used to exist and only sometimes shows it's face in the hidden hours when no ones watching. Zero looked younger if possible, less troubled. X looked like a child, and the tough exterior was torn away. Armpit looked innocent and peaceful. Zig Zag looked like the goofy kid he probably once was. Stanley looked relaxed, as he usually looks stressed being the only innocent kid in a camp filled with delinquents, he looked calm. Finally Alan, he looked so calm and it was almost like he was finally free. The time would come when I would have to wake up soon and start another day of digging. Just take every day as it comes and soon this 16 months will be over. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

I am so sorry, I had the biggest writers block, and then thought well they'd probably all hate me if I came back a very different person to continue this story. It's 1:24am here, and I had a breakthrough of almost serenity which sounds stupid but I had a burst of ideas for Olivia to be seen more as a person with a backstory instead of a girl who's seen as an object to these boys. I started writing this book when I had just turned 15 and I had the serious need to be older (as I'm in the year above so all my friends are actually almost a year older than me). 

But I realised she doesn't have to be this mature child, but you have to remember that she is a delinquent who has had an obvious rough past and she is the way she is because of her life experiences. Thank you for all the positive feedback. I will continue with apparent ship for Squid and Becs (SOMEONE COME UP WITH A SHIP NAME PLZ). But continue to comment and give me ideas, message me I love hearing from you guys.

Also I have discovered this has like 15.9K reads, thats insane guys. Like I went from being an avid reader to wanting to write an interpretation to a movie and book I love. Because as fanfic says, the movie/book/show doesn't end till we say so hahaha.

One last thing where are you all from?! (I'm from Australia if you haven't guessed yet haha). Keep up the feedback and I'll hopefully update soon! <3 <3

Love Alanna xx

BTW NOT EDITED.