14

After what seemed like forever I finally fell asleep, but note to self: do not nap after a day of digging you will regret it. I did wake up just before the horn, giving me some time to listen to the silence surrounding us and giving me one last chance to look at the boys while they're quiet. As I looked around I noticed Stanley looked quite uncomfortable in his sleep, probably wasn't sleeping well because of Armpits snoring. I also hope that he gets faster a digging, but it is only day 3 of digging for him today.

I finally hear the loud siren that is the morning horn, a chorus of groans can be heard throughout the tents, almost bringing a smile to my face. For a moment you can see that these boys are just that, boys. They hate being woken up early and make sure that you know that. I quickly got out of bed as the horn was still sounding and chucked on my orange jumpsuit, tying the sleeves around my waist as it was already warm outside. I walked outside of the tent and saw Mom rubbing his eyes as he walked around with his notepad and hat tucked under his arm, Mr Sir walking over to the 'library' and unlocking the shed, opening up the cart for breakfast.

I walked straight for the fruit whilst it was still there. After grabbing an apple and stashing an apple, I walked over to the shed and grabbed the shovel with the red tape around its neck and stood over near the water truck that Mr Sir used to drive us out to our digging site for the day. I saw many boys walk over, well more so stumble and shuffle towards the breakfast cart and then towards the shed with the shovels. D-Tent made their way out and towards the rest of the cohort grabbing food and making a mess with their tortillas drenched in honey. X walked over towards me, him being the first of the boys to be somewhat awake and ready to dig today, he looked confused. "Becs have you seen anyone with the good shovel", he said looking around and not really focusing on the shovel I had in my hands. "Ya mean this one?" I asked nonchalantly, not really caring about what he was asking. "What-oh -uh yeah don't worry" I was surprised by his answer as if I were anyone else he'd probably would have just snatched the shovel out of my hands. Zig and Armpit noticed this, but the shocked faces didn't last long as we all started walking towards the dig site for the day.

I walked at the very front just behind the truck and finally reached the area where we were to be digging, I walked a bit away and started digging my hole. As the morning stretched on and the sun rose, the boys were all reduced to singlets or even no tops, as the heat increased and pressed us down into the dirt. Literally. I believe I chose a good day to grab the short shovel. I was feeling the burning sensation on my skin, as the sun rippled on the horizon. Nothing for miles. I peeled off my now wet t-shirt that was stuck to my body and was left in my Nike sports crop, left ignoring the comments of the ever-present male gaze. Surprisingly I didn't hear a word from Squid as all the boys made their usual comments, it made feel a bit down, maybe he doesn't like me anymore. The thought of this angered me slightly and drove me to dig my hole at an even faster rate. I did it! I finished! Hang on did the water truck come? Did I miss it? I looked at all the boys canteens and saw that they were half full so they hadn't been refilled or looked at anytime recently. I hopped out of my hole and realised it was still very early and I had dug my hole super fast, shocking everyone. As I started to walk back to camp I was stopped by Mom. "Olivia where do you think you're going?" I looked at him a bit taken aback. "Mom I finished my hole..." I stated. He looked over towards my hole and looked shocked himself. He cleared his throat, "Uh I'm sorry Olivia, please continue your day. Well done." he nodded his head once more and I was back on my way to the tent.

I walked into the tent, suddenly taking in the light I had never seen in the tent. The way you could see the dirt floating in the air through the cracks of the door and 'windows' of the tent was almost peaceful. I walked slowly through the cots and I looked at every cot, taking in every detail of the bed at which each boy slept. I noticed a small toy dog under Magnets bed which made me smile, that boy sure did like dogs. Zig surprisingly had the knob for the tv peaking out from underneath his pillow, no wonder he always has control over the tv. Bless him. X keeps a spare pair of glasses for when he is not working out in the hot desert which are a lot cleaner. I walked past Stanley's bed and saw that he had a letter from his mum, he's really lucky having family that care about him enough to reach out to him and write him a letter. I walked over to the cot that was familiar, the sheets were folded somewhat neatly and as I moved closer I noticed a small photo tucked under the pillow. Upon pulling it out I noticed the small boy in the picture looked very familiar, and so, so happy. The mother was smiling whilst holding him hoisted up on her hip and the father who was standing behind them, with his arm around the mothers waist and hand ruffling through the little boys hair. They all looked so happy. He was as beautiful then as he is now. Putting the photo back in it's place I heard someone come through the tent flap. I jumped away from Squids cot as I turned around.

There he was.

"Becs what are you doing looking at my cot?" he asked with his beautiful eyebrow cocked upward. My face showed the surprise upon seeing him not only in the tent, but that he finished digging so early. He started approaching me as I had no answer to provide him with my mouth still agape. He was right in front of me now and reached out to my face as I stuttered to find an answer, knowing I had been caught almost red-handed, but looking very suspicious. He lifted my bottom jaw shut as I continued to struggle with my words. "You're really not good at thinking up excuses are you?" he said starting to smirk. I shook my head lightly. I couldn't think of what to say around him, he made me speechless, which was definitely a first. The building feeling in the pit of my stomach was rising up to my chest, and I felt myself glancing down at his mouth and swallowing hard. I cleared my throat and looked away, knowing that if I had stared into those brown eyes any longer I would do something reckless. It was probably for the best to get over him, even if we did say we liked each other, even if we were to act on it would it ever work?

Still standing as close as ever I looked back up towards him, "Squid I don't want to do anything stupid right now, and you're making it really hard" I said in almost a whisper. His face shifted as he looked at me, "I mean I just don-" I was cut off by him grabbing my waist and cupping my face, but was surprised by the gentle kiss he laid upon me. It was not your traditional deep and passionate kiss, but it felt deep and passionate in the simplest of ways. He pulled away. Keeping my eyes closed, I slowly opened my eyes to look at him, with the utmost confusion written plain all over my face. "I'm done with you being confused, I don't want you to be confused anymore, I want you to be mine." he rushed out. My breath hitched.

________________________________________________________________

*not edited*

I'm back everyone xx