III

It was just after dinner when Lando went behind the hangar. Ben was already sitting back there.

He popped up.

"Ready, kid?"

Ben nodded enthusiastically.

Lando held out the blaster, but before Ben could touch it, he pulled it back.

"Now, seeing as Luke trusted you with a lightsaber, you know how dangerous these things are. But, remember, these can kill with one or two well-placed shots." Lando raised his eyebrows at the boy, to ask if he understood.

Ben nodded.

Lando extended it again, but pulled it back.  He did this a few more times before finally handing it to the boy with a grin.

"Alright, ready?  Do you see the trigger?" Lando asked.

Ben nodded and tapped it, careful not to fire the blaster.

"Good, now point it at that tree, and pull the trigger."

"It's that simple?" Ben asked.

"No.  But this is how it starts."

Ben pointed the metal blaster at the trees and pulled the trigger towards him.  The blaster kicked back slightly and Ben stepped backwards.

"Did I hit it?" Ben asked excitedly.

Lando looked.  "No, but that was a good first try."

"Can I try again?"

"Sure.  Now aim it, and fire."

This time Ben pulled on the Force that Luke had taught him about and hit the tree.

"Great job, kid!"

"I used the Force!  I just focused and shot it, and I hit it!" Ben said excitedly.

Lando clapped him on the back.

"Can I shoot it again?"

Lando glanced at the sun to determine the time.  "Sorry, kid, I've got to get going.  Now remember, don't tell your mother."

Ben nodded solemnly and handed Lando his blaster. He tucked it into his belt.

"Run along and find your friend. I'll see you around."

Lando rubbed Ben's head and the boy ran off.

Poe was sitting outside of the mess hall, playing with a toy X-Wing one of the pilots had made for him. "There you are!"

"I'm here!" Ben said, plopping down next to him. "I got to use Luke's lightsaber today!"

"Lucky.  Mom still won't let me fly."

Aura Dameron came out just at that moment and ruffled her son's hair.  "Not for a few more years."

"When I'm seven?"

"I said a few more years."

Poe frowned.  "So, when I'm ten then?"

"That sounds about right."

Poe made a face, realizing how long that actually was.  Aura laughed and walked away, towards her home.  "Come in before the sun sets, Poe!"

"Okay, Mom."

Ben laughed at Poe's disappointed face.

"When's your dad getting back?" Poe asked, eager to talk about something else.

Ben shrugged.  "Sometime soon, I hope.  He promised he'd teach me how to repair an engine sometime."

Leia came out of the mess hall.  "There you are, Ben.  Did Lando leave?"