XXV

You could rule the galaxy.

Where had he heard that?

Kelvin!

Talking about Snoke!

Had he been hearing the Supreme Leader's voice that whole battle?

They dropped out of light speed, and the forest planet of Dunov came into view.

The eight remaining X-Wings landed.

Aura ran out, looking for Poe.

"Where is he?"  She grabbed Ben's arms.  "Is he okay?"

"He got shot down--" Ben started.

Aura cried out.

"But he landed!  We're going to pick him up as soon as possible, if he doesn't reach the academy first."

Poe's voice came through the headset.  "You're talking to my mother!  Tell her I'm right here.  If she puts on her helmet, she can talk to me."

Ben told her, and she put it on.  Poe gave his coordinates.

Aura stood in the middle of the landing pad, talking to her son.

Red Leader, a tall, dark man, touched Ben's shoulder.

"Let's go report to your mother."

The other six pilots followed them into the room.

Leia, when she saw Ben, went to him and wrapped her arms around him.  She pressed her lips to the top of his head.  "You're alive."

He hugged her back.

Then she stood back.  "What do you have to report?"

Red Leader pulled up a seat.  "Cal Vand, Red Four, was shot down.  He didn't survive.  Poe Dameron, Red Seven's starboard engine top wing was shot, and he went down in a field about a mile away.  He and his droid survived, and they are on their way to the academy.  Seven TIE-Fighters were shot down and three troop transporters were destroyed before the First Order retreated."

"And which settlement was it?"

"Inops."

Leia put her chin in her hand, thinking.  "They're getting more confident.  Do you think they know where we are?"

"Not yet.  But they could, soon.  If there is anyone weak in the Force who knows, other than the people who are here, Snoke could access their mind and find where we are."  Red Leader glanced at Ben, who looked back, defensive.

He wasn't weak in the Force!

But...what about that voice he'd heard.  Was that Snoke?  He'd have to block his mind better.

"We will have more patrols around the planet, and train more pilots, as quickly as possible."

"We have twelve in training, including Poe Dameron."

Ben suddenly worried about his friend.  Was he alright?  None of them had their helmets, they were all in their X-Wings.

Leia seemed to read his mind.  "I'm sure Poe is fine right now.  We haven't gotten any emergency alert signals from BB-8, and that's a pretty hardy droid."

Ben let out a sigh of relief and nodded in thanks to his mother.

"How are we going to pick up Dameron?" Red Two asked.