XXVIII

By the time Ben was seventeen, Luke had made all four of his Padawans masters.

He instructed them to find their own padawans, to help build up the ranks of Jedi Knights.  He also would take an additional four, to train as well, not expecting the young masters to be able to instruct more than one padawan.

Ben had his eye on a little eight-year-old girl, Mei.  He could feel the Force pouring off of her.  She was one of the strongest he had felt since the children arrived.

Master seemed to approve as well.

Ben hadn't been taught much by Master over the last two years, mostly strengthening his abilities that Luke had taught him.

He approached Luke with his decision.

Luke agreed.

So Ben went off to find Mei.  He located her in the training room.

The little blonde girl was sitting with Essia and two other girls, playing some sort of rhythm game with their hands.

He touched her shoulder and she turned.

"Come with me, please," Ben said.

Mei glanced at her companions.   "Yes, Master Ben."

He took her to the council room.  "I have decided to train a Padawan."

Mei squeaked with excitement.  She clapped her hands over her mouth apologetically.

Ben continued. "I have sensed that the Force is strong within you, and I will train you as my Padawan, if you agree."

The little girl removed her hands from her mouth, nodding furiously. "I accept!"

Ben smiled at her enthusiasm. "We will begin tomorrow. Come to the training room directly after breakfast."

"Yes, Master Ben." Mei started to leave.

"And Mei," he called, and she turned. "You may eat with my fellow Jedi and I tomorrow morning, in our kitchen."

She nodded her head respectfully, and dashed off to tell her friends.

You have chosen a good apprentice.

Ben nodded. "She's strong in the Force, and obviously enthusiastic."

She intrigues me.

"Will you call to her as you did me?"

I cannot determine that.

Ben sighed.

It was almost dinner, so he went to help Onya.

She smiled at him when he walked in. "I heard Mei telling all of her friends about becoming your padawan."

Ben grinned back, washing his hands. "She's very enthusiastic. Do you have one in mind?"

"Perhaps. I haven't decided who yet, and I may go home to find one."

He nodded as she handed him some roots to wash. "More Twi'leks as Jedi would be good."