XL

Ben reignited his own lightsaber. "I suppose that gets a few things out of the way."

"Ben, why?"

He laughed. "Don't you feel it? This power awakening in me is stronger than you'll ever have. It's just like my grandfather."

"Your grandfather failed to save the one he loved."

"--And gained infinite power.  His one weakness was Luke."

She shook her head.  "Do you really believe that?" Averann asked, her voice just above a whisper.

Did he?  Yes.

Master said so.

Thus it was true.

He nodded.

"Then you're a lost cause."

Averann ran forward and struck.  She had always been agile and swift.

He deflected it and the battle began.

He was struck with how good Averann was.  He'd dueled her before, but that had never had one of their lives on the line.

And yet again, Ben knew that the victor would be him.

The blue and red blades clashed over and over.

It was like this when his grandfather rose to power.  The fall of the Jedi, the rise of the Dark Side.  He would finish what Darth Vader started.  Soon, the Darkness would rule the entire galaxy.

He knew that his grandfather would be proud.

They circled each other, looking for weakness though they each already knew each other's weaknesses.

Averann feinted to the right and swung from the left.

He wasn't fooled, and blocked it easily.

"Ben, don't do this!" Averann pleaded.

He filled with rage.  Didn't she see that it was already done?  "I can't.  There's no stopping."

"There is!  You aren't your grandfather!" She blocked his next swing.

"I'm greater than he!  More powerful!" Ben's attacks came faster and faster.

"No, Ben, you're not.  You wish but you aren't!"  A bead of sweat dropped down her forehead, but she still resisted the blows.

Ben growled slightly and tried to catch her off guard.  It didn't work.

"Ben, you'll never be as great as Vader."

He used the Force to push her backwards.  She hit one of the chairs and used the momentum to flip over it, barely gaining her feet before Ben could get around the chair.

Their blades hit together, both pushing.

Neither was immediately stronger, and so they both stayed put.

Blue reflected on Ben's face and red reflected on Averann's.

Ben stared angrily back at her, and her face soon shifted to something he hadn't expected.  An emotion rarely found in the heat of battle: love.