XXIX

Ben went into his room and closed the door. It would be another hour or so before everyone was asleep.

To pass the time, Ben meditated, for real this time.

He contemplated his new apprentice, and tried to focus on what Luke had taught him so he could train her the next day.

Physical training, right?

Yeah. But she was kind of...small. He felt bad for making her exert herself.

But then again, Luke had had Onya, Ilia, and Averann do the same things as he and Poe, and they had been fine, if not better.

My student.

He perked up. "Yes, Master."

They are all asleep. We may proceed with our lesson.

"Yes, Master."

Ben stood, and slipped off his boots.

Go straight across, to the blonde one's room.

Why Averann?

"Will it hurt her?"

It may. But that is part of your test.

Ben knew he could not argue. So he opened his door, wincing at the hiss, and slipped across into Averann's.

Once both doors were closed, he let out his breath, as quietly as possible.

He allowed himself twenty seconds to admire the blonde Jedi.

Averann's hair was braided back, showing her ears, which she rarely uncovered. Her light lashes shifted slightly as she turned her head. She smiled slightly.

Then, after the twenty seconds, he focused on what Master would say.

Probe her thoughts.

"What? How?"

Extend your hand, as a pathway. Touch her forehead and use the Force to pull the thoughts into your own consciousness.

Ben shook slightly and tentatively extended his right hand.

Do it! Master growled.

He touched her forehead, lightly pushing back a strand of hair.

He shouldn't be doing this, he was an intruder.

Ben Solo...

Ben tugged at her mind. He caught a glimpse of her dream, which included her standing at the top of a very, very tall cliff, looking out at the world, until she woke up.

He pulled his hand away.

"Ben?" Averann asked groggily, struggling to sit up.

Knock her out! Now!

"How?" Ben didn't realize he whispered it out loud.

Pull on her consciousness, like you did with the memories.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, as he touched her forehead and tugged with the Force until she fell backwards.

"Will she be okay?" Ben asked Master.

She may have a headache in the morning. Now, probe her thoughts and memories. Is there anything you wish to know from her?

Of course...Did Averann feel the same about him as he did her?

Ben could almost hear the smile on Master's face. Good. Now see.

He extended a hand, afraid of what he might find out.

As he did, her face, which had been so peaceful a minute earlier, after he had pushed her into unconsciousness, was starting to crumple in pain the further her pulled on her mind.

Ben pulled his hand back.

What are you doing?

"I don't want to hurt her."

This is your test.  To see how strong you are.  A little pain is to be expected.  It won't hurt her too long.

Ben shook his head slightly.  "I can't."

You must!

Ben reached out again towards her forehead, and laid four fingertips on it.

He tugged at her mind.  It was unclouded by dreams, and he found what he wanted to know.

There, barely shrouded by apprehension and the knowledge that it was forbidden, Averann loved him.

And not merely as someone she had lived and trained with for the majority of her life, but the same as him.

He took a step back, grinning madly. She liked him!

Now, search for any other secrets she may have.

"What would she know that I wouldn't?"

You might be surprised.

He probed again, searching, and came up dry of anything he didn't know already.

What about who her apprentice will be?

He pulled again.  She was going to try and take on Aaron instead of having Ilia do so.  But the motives weren't selfish, Anina liked Ilia better, and would train best under her.

He reported his findings to Master.

Good, good. Now, my student, one more thing you must do for me. It may be beyond your comprehension.

Ben bristled. Beyond his comprehension? Who did Master think he was? Some toddling child?

Find her memories of what just happened, her subconscious ones, and crush them.

"But if they are in her subconscious, she won't remember them."

Even the dimmest of memories resurface in your dreams. And nightmares.

He stiffened. The nightmares had continued throughout the last two years, becoming harder and harder to bear. Ben had turned to his training sessions to avoid sleep.

Ben reached forward once more.

Good, good. Now once you have reached the memory, crush it with the Force, as you would a fruit.

It flashed through his mind to ask Master what sort of fruit he was referring to, since some were harder to crush than others, but he suppressed it.

Ben located the memories, and gestured with his hand in a crushing motion, trying to do what Master had told him.

"Did I do it?"

Can you find it?

Ben tried, but he was too tired.

Well, then, we'll have to see in the morning. Go to bed. A tired student never does well.

Ben obeyed. That was the first time Master had told him to go to bed. Often, he asked for permission, and hoped Master granted it.

He went to bed, endured the nightmare, and showered before breakfast.

Averann met him outside his room.

"Hey, Ben? This may sound weird, and it may have been a dream, but were you in my room last night?"

Ben's stomach sank. He had failed. "No, that must have been a crazy dream."