XI

Back at base, Han told Luke all of what Ben had done, except for the almost-fight, which neither boy had told anyone about.

Then, the supplies were unloaded, and Han left.

Luke took Ben and Poe into the training room for discipline.

"I have two tasks for both of you.  First, Poe, I want you to sit over there and focus on trying to move that dummy."

"I don't think I can lift Ben, sir." Poe said innocently.

Ben shot him a glare.  "I'm sorry!  I'm sorry!" Poe said, "I'll do so."

Ben scowled at his friend.  He knew he was joking, but he still didn't like it.

"Now, Ben.  I need you to recite the Jedi code."

Ben took a deep breath and rushed, "There is no emotion, there is peace.  There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.  There is no passion, there is serenity.  There is no chaos, harmony.  There is no death, there is Force."

Luke nodded.  "What does the third one mean?"

"There is no passion, there is serenity?"

"Yes, that one.  What does it mean?"

"We don't put our whole selves into something other than the force?"

"Mostly, yes.  One of those things we can't put ourselves fully into is anger.  Anger leads to the dark side."

Ben nodded.  "I need to be more serene?"

"Yes.  I want you to meditate on that.  Then, once you have finished, you need to run three laps around the base."

"Yes, master."

He closed his eyes to contemplate, and sat down slowly.

Luke walked over to speak to Poe.

Ben wasn't fully engaged in his thought, he was also listening to what his uncle said to Poe.

Luke scolded Poe for teasing his friend, then instructed him to contemplate the second line, "There is no ignorance, there is knowledge."

Then Ben focused on his thought.

When he had thought enough about it, he got up to do his running.  He finished as the suns were setting.

Ben walked into the galley, dripping with sweat.  Averann made a face and shoved a cloth at him, which he used to wipe his face.

Then, spurred on by her cheerfulness, he dangled the damp cloth in her face.  She shrieked and ducked away from it.  Ilia glanced at them and went back to her food.

Onya handed Ben a plate of food.  Then Poe walked in.

First thing, he went over to Ben, and whispered, "I'm sorry I called you a dummy.  It wasn't what I should have done."

Ben nodded.  "I accept your apology."

Poe grinned widely and grabbed his friend's shoulder.  Then he grabbed a plate of food.  All five padawans sat and ate their food.

Luke entered the room.  "As soon as you have eaten, I need you to go to bed.  You all will have a long day tomorrow."

They acknowledged him, and went back to eating.

Ben washed his dishes, and went to the showers. He let cold water run over him, too tired to wait for the warm water to heat up, and dried off.

He got dressed again, and padded down the hall, barefoot, with his shoes in his hand, to his room.