XXXIV

Ben finally figured out the design, putting vents on either side to balance out the energy.

His nightmares weren't as severe as the one of the fire, but they were still there.

And, a year later, he was on patrol with Mei, when he spotted another fire.

It shot him back to his dream, and he shook it off.

"Should we go in for a closer look?" Mei asked.

"Yes. Let's see if it's the First Order or just a crop fire."

It crossed Ben's mind that they really should notify the academy when they were doing s burn. There had been seventeen false alarms in the last four months.

But something told him this wasn't a false alarm.

They flew closer.  The village was on fire, and it didn't look like an accident.  But there were no TIE-Fighters anywhere, nor transport vehicles.

"Something seems wrong..." Ben mused.

"Maybe they've just left?" Mei asked.

"The First Order usually doesn't 'just leave.' I think something is up." He glanced around nervously.

"Should we split up and do a patrol?" Mei asked.

"Yes. If you see anything, report it to me. I don't want you going down in flames, okay?"

Though he was completely serious, Mei let out a bit of a laugh. "Alright."

She banked off to the left and he went to the right.

Ben surveyed the surrounding areas nervously.

Ben Solo, what are you searching for?

"The First Order," he replied.

"What was that? Did you find them?" Mei asked.

He hadn't realized he'd said that out loud. "No, sorry, just got lost with my thoughts."

A beat, then, "Okay."

They are gone.

"How do you know?" Ben asked, making sure he didn't say it out loud.

That is of no importance now.

"Of course it is!" he said, near the point of infuriation.

In good time, my apprentice.

He huffed.

Then, he said, "Mei, let's quit the search and head back. They aren't here." Ben held back the irritation in his voice.

"You sure? You were pretty convinced a moment ago--"

"Mei." Ben warned quietly.

"Alright."

They found each other and headed back to the academy.

Ben told her to go in and shower, and that he'd follow in a moment. Once she was gone, he headed towards his room. He took his green lightsaber from its place in his belt and picked up his red one.

He had just put it under his cloak when his door opened.

Ben turned, wiping off and concealing all guilt.

It was C-3PO.

He sighed. "What is it?"

"Master Luke would like you in the council room."