W: War

W: War

It was September, September 1st, the day World War II started. Eliza had stayed home that day, but hadn't seen Gil at all.

The TV was running all sorts of war special programing, so it was off, leaving the house oddly silent.

Gil sat upstairs going through different boxes. He looked over paper clippings and letters.

Back then he didn't think about the war, what it would do. He knew it wasn't right, he knew it was doomed.

Those that try to live forever, surely die.

The Third Reich would never last a thousand years, but Ludwig wouldn't listen.

He sighed and laid back. What had the Allies been thinking? His friends...Francis and Arthur...Even Alfred knew the end of WWI was just intermission to the play of world domination.

What had Ludwig thought? He loved to follow the rules...He broke so many of them, in a short period of time.

No, he went around the rules...

What...what had he been thinking? He sat by and watched as Ludwig annexed Austria and Hungary? Sure he hated that prissy son of a bitch but still...

What had he thought when Ludwig invaded Rhineland? Yeah...he invaded his own country, but it broke the rules.

What had he thought when Arthur just gave into appeasement, let Ludwig take another country?

Wasn't that enough 'elbow room' and 'living space'?

What was he thinking? He didn't know.

He didn't think. He just went with his brother, his family.

Six years is a long time to not think.

Why? He went with his family on the wrong side of the war...why not his friends? His friends were older and more experienced. They knew right and wrong. Ludwig didn't...

Maybe he went with Ludwig because he raised him. He raised him and gave him his values. Was it a way of defending that? No one ever thought he raised Ludwig well...

He couldn't stand the looks he got. The Allies, his friends...they hated him. They couldn't understand why he wouldn't change sides.

After the war was so much worse...they wouldn't even save him.

They hated him...they let him be dissolved. That was one Nazi thing they must have agreed with. They didn't interfere.

He let put a howl and flipped a box over.

Eliza bolted up stairs and opened the door.

Gil sat there on the ground, steaming, raging. She sat beside him, quiet for a moment.

"What's the matter...?"

He sighed "Loyalty is a major flaw. It is a huge weakness. But...everyone wants to be loyal. They want this...curse of loyalty."

She was quiet and just hugged him.

"Why? What did I do wrong? Is it not family first? But... what about morals? I knew it was wrong...no matter what I did...I betrayed someone."

"You did what you thought was right...isn't that all you could be asked to do?"

He sighed "No. Everyone wants more than what you can give them."

"I don't. I just want what you give." She leaned up and kissed his cheek.

He sighed and stood, walking out of the door.

Six years is a long time to not think. Maybe he shouldn't have even started thinking. After all...what is 60 years of not thinking to a nation?

Think about it for a moment.

Gil is friends with the allied nations! But in both world wars he takes his little brothers side

No matter what he does, he will betray someone.

Doesn't that suck!

So that's why I wrote this...

Thoughts?