Chapter 23 - Loved, not loved?

“Everybody’s got a hold on hope,

It’s the last thing that’s holding me…”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Niall sat on his bed, well, it wasn’t his bed to Niall, it was the bed he was supposed to sleep in. His bed was in his room, located on Laura’s farm. But that wasn’t his home anymore. His home was Ireland, the place he was born in.

Maybe he belonged to Ireland. Maybe there was a little chance Niall could actually end up happy. Niall doubted it, but there was a tiny hope inside of Niall that was hoping for the best.

Niall left the kitchen not long after Bobby introduced Niall to Alexandra, and Niall has been sitting in “his” room all day, watching TV, ignoring the world around him while he was lost in thoughts.

He wondered what Louis, Liam and Zayn were doing right now; were they hanging out? Were they playing football, or eating Nandos? Or were they thinking about Niall just as he was thinking about them? They probably were having fun while Niall was sitting in Ireland, stuck with no friends, no one to talk to; no one to trust.

Niall let out a heavy sigh as a knock on his door brought his attention thereto. “Yes?” Niall said and the door handle got pressed down and the door swung open, revealing Alexandra. She stepped into the room and closed the door behind her, looking at Niall.

“What do you want?” Niall spat and glared at her; Alexandra sighed and sat down next to Niall, looking at him through her brown-green eyes.

“I wanted to talk to you,” she explained, and Niall raised his eyebrows. “About what?” he questioned confusedly.

“Just talk to you,” she clarified. “And first of all; I just wanted to let you know that I am in no way trying to replace your mother, okay? I know I can never replace Maura, and I will never try.” Alexandra smiled warmly and Niall nodded, keeping listening to what she had to say.

“I’m glad that you’re living with us, you know? I think you’re a lovely boy and I’m excited to get to know you. I bet you’re an interesting person,” she went on, and Niall had to hold back the nervous laughter that was on its way up.

Only if you consider trust-issues, depression and anorexia as important, he thought to himself.

“By the way, you can call me Alex, Alexandra sounds like I’m an old grandma, and I’m young.” Alex chuckled and Niall nodded, smiling slightly; something about Alex made Niall like her the minute she entered his room. What it was? Niall had no clue.

“Tell me about yourself, Niall.” Her brown-green eyes looked at Niall, and Niall swallowed.

“I’m not interesting, at all,” Niall said, and Alex pouted playfully before her lips spread into a wide smile.

“Everybody has a story to tell, Niall… what’s yours?”

Niall raised his eyebrows, and looked at Alex. “I’d rather not tell.” Niall admitted, but Alex kept her smile like it was glued on her face.

“Come on, Niall. I’m a psychiatrist, there’s nothing that could shock me, trust me.”

“A psychiatrist?” Niall asked, and Alex nodded. “Yes, finished my studies just three years ago.” She looked at Niall, searching his eyes for a sign.

“Well… I’d like to stick to staying quiet… sorry.” Alex nodded. “You have a hard time opening up to people, don’t you?”

Niall nodded slightly, and Alex nodded approvingly. “I’m not going to push you into anything… I need to go to the grocery store and we can talk when I’m back, okay?” Alex stood up and was about to walk out of the door as Niall stopped her.