Chapter 8

I've been ignoring Jesse for 2 weeks. I'm not sure how I managed but I did. Even when he stood outside my room for 3 hours.

I refused to speak to anyone, it was just too painful to bear. That is until Aubrey got it out of me.

"Beca, speak to me!" she had snapped, her voice rising a few octaves and her golden curls flying out wildly around her.

I turned away from her, gazing through the small square window that sat beside my bed.

"I know something's up Bec. I know it. And I can't keep ignoring it when something could be seriously wrong with you or the baby," she went silent for a second and then added, her voice only just loud enough for me to hear, "you know you're all that I have left."

And that's what had made me tell her. I knew that without Chloe we needed each other and the fact that I wasn't speaking to her was bound to make her worry.

She was silent as I explained; even when the tears started to fall, she simply laid a reassuring hand on my shoulder and smiled sadly at me. Once I had finished she nodded, sighing as she seemed to be letting the new information sink in.

When she broke the silence I was shocked, "Beca, I doubt that happened," I opened my mouth to protest but she simply held her hand up, showing that I should listen and continued, "Jesse loves you. And the baby. He's distant at the minute because he's scared, just like you. Okay?"

At the time that had made me incredibly angry, "And what's his excuse for the girl he FELT UP?! I MIGHT BE CAUSING HIM STRESS BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE CAN CHEAT ON ME AND HAVE AN EXCUSE! How could you take his side?!"

Her answer had been simple, "that girl lied."

And now, three weeks later, I was considering her reasoning for the first time. What if she was actually right about Jesse? He was loyal.. but scared? But then I remembered how that girl had his phone and how she had seemed so honest when she spoke of him. I couldn't trust him. Even though I had let Jesse in, it was still a continuing struggle to trust in anyone; even him.

I was sitting on a bench in the center of campus, my legs swinging slightly as I read a book, while humming softly.

That's when I had saw him. Standing at the other side of the campus, his body turned towards me, was Jesse. Handsome as ever. A single strand of deep chocolate hair fell over his forehead and his eyes looked almost.. sorrowful as he looked my way.

I blinked and I was back in reality, watching him run towards me, his eyes filling up with unshod tears. "Beca." he whispered when he reached me.

I dropped my gaze to the floor, avoiding his eyes. He was scaring me, with his tears and emotions... I didn't do emotions. I hated them; they made you vulnerable and that's why I had refused to show them, struggling to keep my face blank.

He gently lifted my chin with his hand, crumbling my cold exterior with his deep gaze like he always managed to do somehow.

"Beca, look at me."

"Who is she?" I hadn't even attempted being subtle; it was pointless.

"Who?" he looked confused.

"When I called you, five weeks ago, a girl answered your phone. She explained that she had your phone because you had left it at her place while you were busy cheating on me."

Somewhere during that last sentence my voice had became harsh and angry. I knew because he had noticeably flinched as his eyes widened in realization.

"Beca that's not what happened. I can explain-"

I wouldn't let him finish, "you know what?! I think that's exactly what happened Jesse, and you may be my babies father but I don't  want you to have anything to do with either of us from now on; got it?"

I had walked away before he could answer and that was when I had decided that he was my past, and now it was time to move on into the future.