Chapter 12

*Beca's POV*

I had called an emergency Bella meeting. Well, it wasn't a full Bella meeting; it was more like a select few.

Aubrey, Cynthia-Rose, Amy and Danielle- one of our new recruits who I had became close to- sat tensely around me on my bed in my dorm room. I traced patterns on my duvet cover with my pinky finger, lightly skimming the musical notes that patterned it and mentally reviewing the notation in my head. It was a welcome distraction, although I could feel Danielle becoming impatient. She was tapping her foot against the floor repeatedly, her tempo increasing as time passed. I valued Danielle a lot. She was understanding and considerate, but didn't let her relationships define her opinions. I always knew where I stood with her.

Finally, after almost 20 minutes of constant fidgeting and silence from the group Danielle broke the trance. "Beca, I love you, but you need to get a grip and explain why you called this meeting. No one can help you if you sit there fidgeting the whole time." Her voice was soft, and so I nodded, and without lifting my head much, I turned to face them all on the bed.

"I'm a mess."

Before I could continue Cynthia-Rose muttered "yup."

I ignored her temporarily and continued, "the situation has changed," I started, picking my words carefully, "it has become more complicated due to new circumstances."

"Does this have anything to do with the hot piece of ass in our dorm the other day?" Bursted out Amy. There was no surprise on the others' faces, prompting the realisation that Amy had spread this information. I sighed, massaging my temples, and started again.

"It does, but not the way you think. He told me some news. Do you remember the night out we had the night after the jungle themed riff off?"

They all nodded; Aubrey winced, "a poor choice on benji's behalf," she added.

"Well we all got pretty drunk. I woke up in my dorm so I didn't worry or anything but when I woke up I was naked. And, I mean, I do sleep naked when I'm drunk and I'm not thinking so I didn't think much into it but.."

A gasp erupted from Aubrey, "you're not saying.."

I bit my lip and my cheeks became increasing warm as I spoke, "I'm afraid I am. I know it's awful, I know. But you guys know I have no morals when I'm drunk! I don't even have a brain, it seems! And now I don't know who the baby's father is and I'm not sure I want to know."

"Wait.. what now?!" exclaimed Danielle, "you can't seriously not find out who the father is; it could change everything for you, and not just you. It's not fair to Jesse or mysterious dorm room dude or even the baby if you just leave it as it is.

A tear ran down my cheek as I gripped my head in my hands, "I know.. b-but what if it's jesse's and he doesn't want anything to do with me because of all of this? Maybe it would be better I just assume it's Danny's kid. He's so nice and understanding, and.. I can't keep letting Jesse down again. He's been nothing but loving and loyal to me and I always throw it back in his face! I'm a terrible person..he deserves so much better.." My snivels descended into sobs and the girls rush forward to grip me in a tight hug. I clung to them as the tears fell.

"We'll support you no matter what." Danielle whispered softly.

***
After a while we all pulled away and then I realised that Aubrey hadn't joined in; she had moved to lean awkwardly against the opposite wall.

"Um, I'm going to go now.. you have a lot going on and I have a lot of work to catch up on from classes, so yeah.." she quickly exited and I frowned to myself. Aubrey was acting weird.

It was slightly unnerving but I decided to let it go for now; I had bigger issues to worry about. "I think I know what I'm going to do." I said to the remaining group.

They waited expectantly for my plan, "it's not ideal.. but I'm going to just try and get to know Danny for now. If he's some kind of psycho I'll just stick with what I'm doing, stay with Jesse, and Jesse won't have to know that there's any chance it's not his."

There were a lot of exchanged glances after I announced that. I knew what I was saying was selfish, but it avoided any unnecessary drama.

"If that's what you want.." Amy trailed off.

***

"Hey Danny." I smiled falsely as he walked towards me.

He approached as I stood in front of the Bella house, catching my breath as I stared out across the grass. The crisp air bit at my cheeks and I hugged myself tightly to keep in the warmth.

"Hey.." he whispered. He was smiling, albeit slightly sheepish, but I appreciated the effort.

I was slightly overwhelmed. The fact that he was wearing a beanie over his curls made me stifle the urge to approach him with eager warmth. I didn't know him.. but what can I say, I'm a sucker for guys wearing beanies.

"Do you want to head to the Starbucks down the road?" I asked expressionlessly, gesturing with my hand in the direction of the cafe.

"Um.. yeah, sure." He nodded to himself, clearing his throat.

And we started the long walk in silence.

***

Hi readers!

I know there are no excuses! I'm definitely making it my New Years resolution to update more frequently.

How are you all feeling about Danny? And also Jesse, he's slightly out of character at the moment, isn't he? I hope you all continue to read to find out!

Thank you so much for reading I am so grateful,

Brooke
Xox