Chapter 4

Jane pov...

It has been five years since I came to Afghanistan to fight the war. I have climbed the ranks fast due to how dedicated I am, I was recently promoted to Colonel which is close to one of the top ranks I can get.

Today we are travelling and moving to a new base.
We drive to the new base and start to set up when a bomb are dropped.
I am close to where it was dropped and get thrown with the impact. I feel agony in my left arm but I see fellow soldiers who need help so I go over to them and help them to stand and give support to them as they were stuck and having trouble moving. They get to the car and I am about to go back when I see another bomb drop on the other side of the base and then a bomb is dropped metres from where I am standing and the force sends me to the ground and a piece of metal goes in my right leg stopping me from moving and I black out.

When I wake up I am in hospital, another soldier is in the room, I see that it was my commander, Sergeant Major Watson and he says "glad you are awake Colonel Rizzoli"
I nod and say "what happened?, last I knew bombs were dropped on the base"
He nods and says "three bombs were dropped and out of the fifty soldiers on site forty died, four are in comas, the five you helped get to the vehicle had minor injuries or a few broken bones and then there is you"
I say "what are my injuries?"
He says "you have been passed out for the last three days since the explosions, your left arm is broken and your right leg had to be amputated at the knee and the prosthetic arrived this morning"
I nod and he asks "how do you feel?"
I say "I feel okay, no pain right now. I am worried about having a prosthetic leg but hopefully I can cope"
He nods and says "Thank you for helping those five soldiers, as they say they would be dead without you"
I nod and say "I was just doing my to help my fellow soldiers"
He says "I am sorry to say but due to your injury and the disability you are being given an honourable discharge, you are going home"
I nod and he says "thank you for all your service and I will see you soon"
He walks out and the doctor arrives. He checks me over and the prosthetic leg is put on and he helps me to stand up. I am wobbly at first and given a cane to use to help me walk. I find it hard but I can walk a little, it is challenging do to so I am sent to rehab for the next two weeks until they think I can cope on my own. I go to the main base to see my commanders and they thank me for my service, wish me well on my recovery and hope I can adjust back to civilian life. I will see them at the awards ceremony when it is next held. They then say goodbye and I say goodbye and am taken to an airport when I then catch two different flights and head back to Boston and to my apartment.