Chapter 19

Jane pov...

Its Monday so I head into work as we haven't gotten a call about a case yet. Frost, Frankie, Korsak and I sit down at our desks and start taking to each other as we haven't all seen each other in a few days. We barely start talking and all our phones ring informing us of a new case.
We head down to the scene which is at a park. Maura looks over the victim and says "he is a mid fifties man with stab wounds in his chest"
Frankie says "no phone, wallet or ID, the vic has no ring, watch or other jewellery so a mugging may be an option"
We canvas the scene but don't find anything and no one seems to have seen anything.

Maura takes the body back to the morgue and I watch to see what we can learn. The guys start working in the bullpen to see if they can get any information.
The man has no hits in CODIS so we have to run him through missing persons but we are unlikely to get a hit yet as no one may think anything has happened yet.

We wait around to see what new information we can find out. Maura's report says that the man was reasonably healthy with no identification markers. The man died from the three major stab wounds from a metal blade of sorts which caused major internal bleeding and he died within minutes of the attack. He shows some signs of defensive wounds and had DNA under his fingerprints which means he may of scratched his attacker and we are still waiting on results from that in the system.
We all head home for the night as we have nothing to help and the DNA waiting will be dealt with in the morning due to the labs being busy.

I arrive first at work in the morning and sit down at my desk. A few minutes later a women is showed over to my desk she says "My husband didn't show up to work yesterday and no one has seen him. I heard about the man found in the park and think it may be him"
I nod and show her a headshot of the man and she starts sniffling and says "yes, that's Vincent"
I get her to sit down and I ask her a few questions. I find out that the victim is Vincent Delacore, he was an accountant for a minor company. He was on his way to work yesterday and liked to walk to work through the park when he could. His wife Kate was on a business trip and got back early this morning to find her husband not home and a message on the answering machine from his boss seeing where he was as he missed work.
I get an officer to take her back home and give her my card for any information or to call him if she needs to.
Maura and the guys walk in and I tell them all what I learnt from Kate. We start looking into his background and work life to see if anyone would have motive. We can't find anything and even get in a few people he was friends with or worked closely with and no one knows of any reason that this may have happened. We head home again with nothing and start to think it may have been a random attack and could have just been a mugging for whatever he was carrying.

Maura and I head to the park and walk through to see if we can come up with anything when we see a couple birdwatching. We talk to them to see if they were here the other day and the canvas missed them. They say that they weren't here but they show us a hidden camera in a tree nearby to the attack site. They hadn't looked through the footage yet and they have a recording of a week which means they may have caught something without realising it. They didn't know how close the camera was to the site which is why they hadn't come forward earlier.
I get the recording from them and head into the bullpen for us to look through the footage. We can't see the murder from the angle but do see Vincent walk past and a few minutes later a teenager boy runs past with what may be blood on his clothes. We run his face through facial recognition and get a hit with the name Jules Mercer from a minor case where it had been a fight that got violent with no charges laid but he was in the system for it. We track him to his house and bring him in for questioning. His DNA is a hit and Korsak and Frost question him to see why he did it and Jules just wanted the money and didn't mean to kill the guy but the situation got out of hand and he freaked out. Jules hands over what he stole from the victim and is sent down to booking.

I go into the bullpen, we have no new case today so it's just paperwork for the day. I finish everything from yesterday case so all the work for that is done.
I hear the elevator open and look to see Maura, she walks over and says "I know you've been working all day so far so it's time for a lunch break"
I nod and we head to the cafe to order, I get mac and cheese while Maura sticks with her salad. We talk about random topics while finishing our food before heading down to her office in the morgue. We talk some more and I invite her over for dinner tonight for one of our first real dates being together.

Authors note...
I tried to make the chapter longer. Hope it's alright I didn't check it over and I wrote it while on the plane. Not sure when the next chapter will be written as I start my next term at school in a few days.