Chapter 9

Maura pov...

"Jane what can I do to help?" I ask
She says "I don't know"
I say "what do you want most?"
She says "sleep but I have nightmares or flashbacks every time I sleep so I try to stay awake now"
I say "do you want me to stay with you tonight"
Jane stays quiet so I say "I will stay and wake you if you have nightmares"
She smiles and says "thanks"

We sit on the couch and Jane says "sorry for not telling you I was back"
I say "it's okay, but why didn't you tell us?"
She says "I thought you would hate me for leaving without saying anything"
I laugh and say "Jane you are my best friend I could never hate you"
She smiles and I ask "really how bad was it over there?"
She frowns and says "I get that it's honourable to do but no one should ever have to be a war. The amount of people who die is so sad and the amount of injuries that happen is unbelievable. I had gotten used to being there and everything that happened as it was life but being out is hard as you can't adjust back easily and the triggers that can take you back to fighting"
I smile and say "I'm proud of you, you went and survived five years and now you are trying to get back to a normal life"
She says "thanks Maur, what have you been doing these last years"
I say "nothing really, I missed my best friend. I had a few meaningless relationships but mostly it was just work and being around the team and family"
She smiles and says "what was work like?"
I laugh and say "once you left it seemed like there were more murders happening, the team was weird as Frankie replaced you and did you jobs but everyone was missing you"
She frowns and says "I'm sorry that I didn't tell you or make contact, I made a new email and when I had time I would write to some of you, it was mostly you but I could never send them and deleted them"
I say "don't worry about it, it's fine now and it would have been really hard to tell then anyway"
She nods and I ask "why don't we watch a movie"
She says "okay, which one?"
I say "what about the other women"
She nods and we put in the movie and laugh so many times, it is an amazing movie. After the movie I make a salad for dinner and laugh when Jane eats it. She asks "what?"
I say "it's nothing just that you would have complained about a salad before"
She laughs and says "yeah, the food wasn't that great and I kinda missed eating foods I didn't like"
We finish eating and I put on a Red Sox game and she laughs and this time it's me who asks "what?"
She says "nothing it's just I haven't seen a game in a while"
I ask "how longs a while?"
She smiles and says "about five years"
I say "wait, you haven't seen a game since you left"
She shakes her head and says "I didn't have time being away and I have had other things on my mind lately"
I say "wow, that must have been terrible for a fan like you"
She laughs and says "it was"

Once the game finishes we go to sleep and it feels like old times when Jane and I would sleep in the same bed often.
She has a nightmare once that I wake her up from and we go back to sleep.