Chapter 6

Jane pov...

I have been back for a week now. I have found it hard coming back as I have nightmares of getting shot or bombs now. I went to the doctor yesterday and I have signs of PTSD which is common is soldiers when they get back from war.
I haven't seen Clarrisa again as she has been busy with work and her family, she has been married for three years and has a one and a half year old daughter. No one knows I have come back yet.

I clean the house again and do laundry, I have started getting used to the fake leg so it doesn't bother me anymore. Having only one arm makes things hard though. My arm will be in the cast for a the next four weeks.

Tonight I have a ceremony from the army. They are giving awards and stuff, I have to go.

I decide to go out for lunch as I have hardly left the house not wanting to be seen.
I go to subway and sit and eat my food and as I leave Cavanaugh walks in so I go past as fast as my leg lets me hoping he doesn't see me.
I get in my car and its doesn't seem like he saw me so I go home and watch tv for a little bit before I put on my army uniform for tonight. I always feel proud when I wear it as it shows I served our country and I have my rank insignia on my shoulder which is something to be proud of.

I leave my apartment and go to the ceremony. I told to soldiers who I have met and the ones who claim I saved them and they thank me. I am getting a drink when I see Casey who I haven't seen from high school, he is surprised to see me here.
We say hi to each other and I say "General Casey Jones nice to see you"
He nods and says "Colonel Jane Rizzoli impressive"
I ask "where are you stationed?"
He says "Afghanistan, how about you?"
I say "I was in Afghanistan but I was discharged"
He is about to say something but we are asked to take our seats. Sergeant Major Watson is standing at the podium to start his speech and give out some awards.  Four people are given their awards and then I am called up. I go on stage and I am thanked for my service and given a Medal of Honour for gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty, I wasn't expecting to get that award.
I was last to get an award so there is some more speeches and them the ceremony is over.

I talk to Sergeant Major Watson as he wanted to know how I am going with my injuries and being back.
We finish talking and Casey comes over to me, he congratulates me on my award and asks "when do you go back?"
I say "I'm not, I was given an honourable discharge but because of my injury I can't go back"
He says "your arm will heal"
I nod and say "no it's my right leg was amputated"
He says "I didn't notice"
I nod and we say goodbye, it was nice to see him again. During high school I had a crush on him but not anymore.