5

He accepted me so quickly that I thought I was dreaming. I almost cried when he said that; almost cried when he said he loved me and that he wasn't disgusted, appalled, by who I was. He took me out for ice cream afterwards, as if he was trying to start making up for what he'd done within the past few years. There was a nearby Dairy Queen so we took Darcy out as well. I was actually beginning to forget about Becca and the soon-to-be problems with Chris and whatever girl he was smacking lips with. It's not like they could do much worse to me; some people hated me because of my sexuality but they just didn't associate themselves with me. I didn't have anything to lose. Jaz and a few of her friends were the only ones who opened their mouths about anything to do with me. Yes, Thomas was kind of my only friend (and now Becca), but if I had any more friends I wouldn't know what to do with them. I should've stopped complaining about not having any other friends before I got exactly what I asked for.

On the walk back to the house, Dad and I caught up. I mentioned that a few girls still bullied me about it, and that's why I never had anyone over, except Thomas.

"Any crushes?" He suddenly asked.

A blush crept up and burned my cheeks. I thought it was sad that just the thought of Becca made me feel like this; like I was so in love that I wouldn't be able to function if she ever kissed me. It made me feel a little dependent and I hated that.

"Yeah I kind of like this girl who goes to my school."

"Is she," he hesitated. "Like you?"

"No I don't think so. But a girl can dream."

"You'll find the right girl Parker. I hope you'll love each other as much as I loved your mother."

I didn't verbally respond, but I nodded. I knew how he felt about my mother, and probably still did. It had been going on three and a half years since she decided that she didn't want to be a part of our family anymore. I assumed that even if he didn't bury himself in his work all the time, he wouldn't be dating in his free time. He was definitely heartbroken. Anyone would be if they started a family with someone they thought was their soul mate, and said soul mate left without a word, without any further contact other than the divorce papers and a copy of a signed relinquishing of parental rights. We both loved my mother very much; I think even Darcy was sad that she was gone.

For the first time in months I fell asleep with a smile on my face, finally happy, finally content.

I was conflicted on how I should've felt seeing Becca in Econ on Monday. Normally I'd be elated, because her simple presence brightened my day, but just yesterday I ruined her relationship. However, I did take notice that she didn't really seem upset to see her significant other cheating on her. That confused me, based on my knowledge of most high school relationships or any relationships really. No one wanted to be cheated on.

My heart finally decided how I felt when Becca walked into the room. It started to pound so loudly I was sure Jaz would say something about it two rows behind me. Mrs. Owens spoke to her before she came and sat in the seat next to me. It was still a few minutes before the bell rang so Mrs. Owens went out into the hallway to make sure students weren't lingering.

"Hey Parker." she smiled at me and put her bag on the ground.

"Hey." I smiled back. "You look great today."

I couldn't believe I let that slip. It was normal for people to compliment their friend's appearance but I wasn't straight and I wanted Becca to be more than a friend.

"All thanks to you. You really shouldn't have bought all this for me."

Like before, it didn't sound like she meant it and someone could take the 'shy' look on her face for a sarcastic smirk.