19

Meeting Thomas's boy took longer than I expected. According to Thomas, I had to wait a week after he told me because of how busy this guy was. He wouldn't say with what exactly, so I assumed he was dealing or part of some other suspicious activity.

"Okay Parker," Thomas started. "he's going to be here any minute."

"I know, Thomas. That's why I'm here."

"I'm nervous." Thomas began walking around the room, holding his hands and trying to wring them out like a towel. He looked like a mom more than anything.

"Don't be. This isn't your first time meeting him, it's mine."

"I know, I know. Just – I know."

I didn't respond; everything I said seemed to make him more nervous. There shouldn't be any reason for him to be nervous. The only one who should be nervous is his mystery boy. It was unspoken, but if I didn't like him Thomas would willingly get rid of him. The doorbell rang then, but Thomas didn't move to open the door. I went instead and pulled it open only to see Chris standing there.

"Thomas this is a joke right?" I asked, moving back and letting Chris into the house.

"No, it's not a joke. It's Chris, he's the guy I'm seeing."

Chris stood awkwardly just inside the doorway. He looked between Thomas and I with his arms folded on his chest. The grey shirt he was wearing looked a size too small but it showed off his build and muscles. I was just glad he didn't have a smirk on his face.

"You can't date him. I mean, do you know how awkward that is for me and- I need to talk to you in the kitchen," I said.

I grabbed Thomas by his sweaty hand and pulled him into the kitchen. I couldn't tell what made me more upset: the fact that he didn't tell me beforehand so I could prepare myself, or that it was Chris.

"Are you serious? Rebecca's ex-boyfriend. I doubt either of them knows the other is gay. I don't want to be caught in the middle of this."

"You're not in the middle of this. How can you even try to make this about you? You and Rebecca are done and when you were together you were never in public, so it's fine. He won't know and I really don't think he'll care. You just want to protect stupid little Rebecca who wouldn't even come out for you."

"I don't want to protect her. I just need to avoid conflict. And she's not stupid."

As I waited for him to respond, I took in the appearance of the dingy looking kitchen. I wasn't one to really judge someone's living space. I considered my apartment to be a modest living space. The curtains needed to be washed, the blinds needed to be wiped down, as well as the fridge and the dark brown countertops. The stove was also grimy, but whose stove wasn't?

"Good. You shouldn't want to. But this is about your best friend being happy. Can you just let me be happy? I don't know how many times I have to ask you to do that."

The aggression had built up in his voice and I was sure Chris would come in to stop the argument. He didn't though, so I let another pause go by before I spoke. His breathing slowed and I finally opened my mouth.

"You shouldn't have to ask. I'm sorry."

"I'll temporarily forgive you. Now, let's go back and play nice with Chris."

He guided me back into the foyer, where I noticed that the white walls were now graying from dust, dirt, and time. I was going to listen to Thomas, and I would no longer make the situation about me but that didn't mean I was ready and willing to be friends with Chris. He looked nervous when we returned and his hands were now shoved in his pockets. Chris no longer looked like Rebecca's golden boy. He smiled slightly when he noticed Thomas was in the room too. It was a genuine smile, not the smirk I'd been seeing since the day I first saw him.