17

My dad offered to spend time with me, but I declined, wanting to be alone. I watched 27 Dresses again. I did think about my mom this time, but I didn't cry. I don't think I'll ever fully get over the fact that she's dead, but I had enough support to make me feel okay with it. As the credits rolled, my phone vibrated. It was Thomas coming by, to check on me after the school day ended. His wet hair informed me that it was still raining. He stood for a minute by the door, removing his shoes and wringing his hair out. He informed me that he'd gotten a ride after I abandoned him, but wouldn't say who; I assumed it was his special friend that he refused to tell me about.

"You're not mad though, right?"

"Why would I be mad?" I asked, laughing a little as Darcy went up to Thomas and circled his legs. Thomas still tried to walk and tripped over Darcy. Instead of helping Thomas up, I picked up my dog and hugged him close. "Did the big tall boy hurt you Darcy?"

"Very funny Parker. Seriously though, I took kinda long to get here since it happened. You're not mad?"

"No Thomas I'm not mad." I set Darcy down and he ran off to the back again and into my dad's room most likely. "I wasn't expecting you to chase after me, or anyone really. I'm a nobody."

"You're not a nobody. People know you exist. The whole school does."

"I'm okay with being a nobody Thomas. I'd rather be invisible. Jordan found me, somehow. We talked, and I talked to my dad. I'm okay for now."

We walked back into my room and he made himself comfortable on my bed. Luckily his jeans weren't wet. He also had on mismatched socks, which surprised me. Normally he couldn't stand having anything but the same color and same brand even. Despite this, he looked happier than he usually did. I decided I would wait to comment on it; we were focused on the fight.

"Okay, so if you're cool with it, can you relay all the details? I missed everything."

We both laughed at his statement because he sounded like a drag queen from Queens with an accent stronger than Fran from The Nanny. He didn't fit into the stereotype of the gay best friend, so we didn't usually gossip about anything unless one of us overheard something really 'scandalous'. That happened to be nothing lately because I was the scandal and everyone knew those details.

"Yeah, it was something small that escalated very quickly with a crowd. I just thought I could sneak a kiss from my girlfriend during the school day but someone down the hall was watching us. It seemed like it was planned because suddenly Jaz and her buddies came marching down the hall seconds later. Jaz finally told me why she hated me, which wasn't my fault at all. The bell rang, a teacher came, she left, then I left."

"So what's going on with you and Rebecca then? What was she doing while all this was happening?"

I gave him the longer version of the story, emphasizing the fact that Becca didn't even bother to open her mouth during the argument or after. We shared a look at the end and she followed Jaz. After I showed Jaz that she wouldn't have control over me, I don't know why Becca couldn't show that to her either. What did Jaz have over her that Rebecca shouldn't stand up to her?

"Parker!" There were knocks following the sound of someone shouting my name. "Parker please open the door."

"Who's that at your door?" Thomas asked.

"No idea. I didn't ask anyone to come over here, and Jordan would've told me she was on her way at least."

The person at the door called my name again and knocked harder. I got out of the bed and walked towards the front of the apartment with Thomas following behind. Whoever it was shouldn't have been able to get to the door; they must've rang someone else's bell to get buzzed in.