21

I felt nervous the moment I woke up on the day of the music festival. Jordan and I had been on dates before but it'd always been her taking me out. I could only hope that she'd like it. The festival didn't start until 11 but it would still take time to get there. I would've preferred that she woke up on her own but it was almost 10, so I called her. She answered on the fifth ring.

"Hello?"

"Hey, good morning. Today is the day."

"Yes, today is the day. What are we doing?"

"It's a special event, but don't guess because I won't tell you. It'll be a good time I promise."

"Fine, no questions. But since you woke me up out of my sleep, you're buying breakfast."

"I wouldn't expect it to go any other way. So, get ready and dress comfortable. I'll be there in thirty."

I got ready quickly, now excited after talking to her. I chose a pair of leggings and a gray crop sweater with floral print on it, and my trusty old pair of converse. Before leaving, I made sur Ii brought money, my sunglasses, and my ID. I'd printed the tickets out beforehand as well, and made sure those were in my bag along with two unopened, frozen, bottles of water. I texted Jordan that I was on my way once I got in the car. The lack of traffic got me to her house faster than I expected. I waited ten more minutes before I let her know I was outside, and that she could still take her time. The door popped open sooner rather than later.

"Where are we going?" she asked after buckling her seatbelt.

"I told you, it was a surprise," I said.

The look of surprise, excitement, and happiness on her face was something that I needed and wanted to see.

"What if I don't like surprises?"

"I still remember the story of your surprise tenth birthday, and how much you loved it. I want to see if I can recreate that look on your face."

"I don't remember telling you that story."

"Well you did. I didn't make that up," I said, laughing.

"No, you didn't," she replied, laughing too. "It happened."

"Good. Now that that's settled, sit back and enjoy the ride."

The radio was turned on then, and music played, and talk show hosts laughed for the remaining forty minutes of the ride. She stayed unexpectedly quiet for the most part, other than singing along to songs. A comfortable silence was well needed to calm my nerves about the whole shindig. Her eyes were softly closed when we arrived. One thing I hadn't accounted for was paying for parking, but the festival provided a lot for twenty bucks. The lot up the block was charging $35. I passed a twenty from my wallet to the employee, who then let me into the lot. Jordan hadn't said anything still until I shut the car off. I guess she'd fallen asleep.

"Thought you were just resting your eyes, like my dad does," I said.

"No, I was sleeping. Had a late night. Are we here?"

"Yes we are. I think this will be the best surprise you've ever had."

I didn't bother covering her eyes as we left the lot and crossed the road over to where the field was. The festival looked cool but I was more interested in Jordan, and the look of complete awe on her face. Her open mouth closed and her lips formed a smile instead.

"Parker Harding, you are an amazing person."

"I knew I'd find a way to cheer you up. Maybe you didn't notice, but I noticed that you've been down lately. Also, you've taken me out of many dates, it's only fair if I take you on one."