II

My mother would smack me with her wooden spoon if she knew what I was doing. My nightdress swayed gently with every step I took away from my window, my long silk sleeves brushing the rest of my dress with every fidget.

My eyes began scanning outside my yard and stopped when my blueberry bush rustled. I narrowed my eyes, looking as clear as possible. 

Then it came out. Standing there, almost proudly. Its coat was truly the darkest shadow I have ever seen in my twenty years of life. Its eyes, they were beautiful yet... emotionless. They were a striking red that looked as if they were glowing, like rubies. Its pointy ears were almost acting like devil horns. His canines, sharp and intimidating, glistened and stood out from his dark fur.

That's when it saw me. I felt my whole body freeze and it walked closer to my window, out of the bushes. The closer it got the faster my heart began to beat as I began taking steps back, my grip on the knife tightened. Once it was only a couple of feet away, it stopped.

Calm down, Bexley. You've got this. Five years in training won't fail you now. You're too high up on the house for it to reach you. It's not like you have such bad luck that it would actually choose you over the pretty and noble girls in the village.

The moment I thought those words, the large wolf stood on its' hind legs and I heard a few bones crack. I walked a step closer to the window with a shiver at the cold window coming through. My eyes immediately widened and my heart dropped straight to my ass. Before my shivering form stood a tall wolfman on its two hind legs. My heart stopped as it began walking closer to my balcony. Oh, devil's hell.

Run, Bexley, run!!

I sprinted away from my window and slammed it shut. I grab ahold of my nightstand and pushed it in front of the balcony door in haste, my deep breaths echoing through my room. My body was feeling numb as it began to reach fight or flight.

I needed the rifle.

I reached for my bedroom door and tugged it open, only for it to creak and not budge open. I started kicking it aggressively and dropped the knife as I started tugging and banging my pale hands on the door, watching as they began turning red and bruised. I yelled for my dad as I knew he would be sleeping with his favorite rifle, Petunia, tonight. I kicked the door again with no effort.

I can hear a low rumble as I turned around to the balcony in fear, running towards my bed and hiding under it. I heard my balcony door smash open along with the crashing sound of my nightstand, and heavy footsteps accompanied by heavy breathing. I held my breath and closed my eyes as silent tears fell down my reddened cheeks. I looked to my left and saw my knife at arms reach. I stretched my hand slowly and I felt the wooden handle on my shaking fingertips. I heard a deep- thunderous growl and my bed was flipped away, exposing my trembling, sweating self. A sob escaped my lips as he growled again and began getting closer. I began trying to crawl away from...him. I felt the wind through the open balcony door as a chill ran through my near exposed body, the doors slamming back and forth harshly with the wind.

My hands grabbed the knife and I swung as I began getting up. I thrust the knife forward only to miss as he pushes me to the ground with his backhand, hitting my arm in a hard force. The knife flies out of my hand and out of reach as it pathetically slides across my wooden floor. I look up at him in horror as I crawl away backward until my back hits my light blue wall. I look at my surroundings only to frown in dismay as I see nothing in sight to fight back with.

The moment his claws reached out towards me, a knock was heard through the door, following my dad's gruff voice.

"Sweetheart, are you alright?!"