VI

Dimitri

"Please, I beg you! Don't hurt me! I have a wife and two beautiful chi-" and the head is off. I looked at my bloodied claws, small specks of flesh left around them. I turned to look at my surroundings. Torn bodies and body parts were everywhere, the smell of metallic blood still in the air. I retracted my claws and began walking back to my home, the winter air scraping against my bare skin, and my wolf sedated from its hunger for blood for today.

The first time I killed something was when I was thirteen. My dad knew what would happen to me, how I would get my wolf, and how much he would crave blood. He started showing me how to hunt smaller animals from then on; rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, anything that lacked much of a threat to my well-being. By the time my wolf grew and I was seventeen, the hunger began to worsen. I began to want to kill more, bigger things as well as smaller ones. By the time I was eighteen, I had killed my first human.

It was a man. My wolf sensed him while we were on the hunt for a bear we had smelled miles from our home, too close to his territory. I was always in control of my wolf. Until that day. It was mid-day, nothing but nature's song filling the air. The gravel and leaves under my paws welcomed every imprint I left, my nose in the air and ground sniffing for the brown bear intruding in our land. Following the scent was easy, the smell of pine leaves, freshwater cave, and fish. Then, our senses were interrupted. Another scent. Another heartbeat.

I raised our nose up. Fall leaves, grass, and testosterone. 

Male. 

That's when my wolf took over. Devil took full control. One moment we were in the middle of the forest, and the next I was standing over a body. Bloodied, ripped apart. Devil saw him as a threat, a potential enemy. His blood covered my hands, my mouth filled with his blood. His throat was ripped into, his chest adorned with claw marks. I remember freezing and staring at him and my hands in shock. I couldn't move. I couldn't even flinch. That's how my father found me. Covered in blood. Frozen in shock. Shivering in fear and disgust in myself. 

Now. I'm used to it. I learned to not care, or not to care as much. I was cursed. I was forced to accept that and I had to live with it as my ancestors before me. I couldn't feel guilty if I was to live like this. For not much longer I hope. I sigh and run my hands through my mess of hair. 

I'm seriously freezing my balls off right now.

I pulled apart the small plants covering the small cave towards my territory, going through and moving them back. I sniffed the air and was greeted by my guard dogs as they jumped on me, licking my face.

I had five guard dogs in total (it's better to be safe than sorry). I've had each of them since they were pups and trained them myself. I have grown attached to them and they have grown attached to me.

My first guard dog is Cando; he is a Giant Schnauzer that I had found abandoned in a basket in the forest one night. I had heard him whimpering from a mile away, afraid of the night. Ever since then I've kept him and trained him. He is a ruthless dog on the job but is a real sweetheart with a vicious bark. Next was Nox, a tall and proud German Shepard. I had gotten him for the extra company for Cando and they are now attached to each other like brothers. After Nox, came Snow. Snow is a very puffy Kuvasz, found by Nox and Cando in the area as a pup. His coat is what got him his name, and not to mention he is a total eating machine. It seems that he's hungry every hour, even after a big meal.

Snow was the one to bring Dyno, a goofy but scary Rottweiler. As a puppy he was very clumsy and was very shy, eventually, he grew closer and closer to the rest of his brothers and became an incredible guard dog. And last, but certainly not least, is Baby. Baby is, as named, the baby of the group. He was, just like Cando, abandoned in the forest. I had found him by a stream inside of a box, starving, whimpering, and afraid. I actually felt bad for something for once in my life and decided to take him with me, and I did. Baby is still a pup and has much to learn but he has adapted well to everything.