VIII - Parte 2

Dimitri

"You've been quiet this whole time, hijo. What's bothering you? I thought you'd be happy right now."

I turn my head to my father, frown lines covering his tan face in worry. We sat outside the main house, staring at the small overview of the land that stretches far past what our ancestors thought we would own. Our main property sits at the top of a cliff and then stretches to deeper horizons of greenery. Past the land? Nothing but water for miles. I let my legs slightly dangle at the edge of the cliff with my father, his position matching my own as I rest my body on my hands and lean back. The sun welcomed me with warmth.

"What. I can't enjoy the sun in some silence now?" I grin at my father as he lets out a quiet chuckle. He gives my cheek a pat as he smiles at me, his palm smelling of fresh grass. I slap it away with a cheeky smile and continue staring out in front of me, "I'm just overwhelmed, that's all." The lie slips my lips naturally.

I figured I would rather my parents be happy, worrying less and less about me. Maybe have them focus on my -

"You haven't asked about him."

I raise a brow at my father's voice interrupting my thoughts. His statement is neither nonchalant nor accusatory; casual, almost. I feel myself sigh deeply, knowing exactly who he's talking about.

"I didn't realize I had to ask every single time when you and mom visit me." I feel my jaw clench at its own accord as my father stays silent for a bit, almost gathering his words before he says anything.

"He's your little brother, Dimitri. Regardless of all this curse bullshit that Dameerys placed on you two, you are still family." His voice is sad and scornful.

I feel the annoyance creep up in my thoughts as I crack my neck, "Yeah. One that can steal my mate. Or did you simply forget that?"

His chest rumbles and he turns to me, "Look," I don't turn to him, "Nik is not to blame for the shit that the witch did. I am. She cursed you two because of me, not him. If you're going to be angry with someone, be angry at me. Not your brother. When he finds out you found your mate first, it will hurt him really bad. But he will be happy for you and you know that. Don't you?"

I finally stop facing the bright sun over the peaking horizon, my eyes meeting his, "If you knew that there was another man out there that could take away mom from you, would you still say that?"

Silence. I chuckled sarcastically, "Yeah," my hand grips the grass, "that's what I thought."

Without another thought, I get up from my position and head back toward the house. And just as I thought, my father didn't stop me.

Regardless of whether it was wrong or right, he knew my reasoning. He knew why I kept my distance from the youngest Addario son. From my baby brother. From Niko.

It may not be Niko's fault but it wasn't mine either. In the end, my parents agreed to let us be separated when his wolf emerged. When the curse Dameerys set was put into place.

Dameerys. Also known as the second Salemm family witch that my family pissed off. Specifically, my father. He thought that by having Dameerys fall in love with him he would make her break the old curse on the Addario family. To give him some credit, maybe his plan may have worked if mom hadn't come along. Of course, when Dameerys found out that dad's wolf had chosen mom in the end, she was angry. As a result, on the day of my first shift - Niko only being eleven at the time and having not shifted - she cursed us. The moment one of our wolves recognizes their mate, the other's wolf will recognize the same mate as their own. In the end, only one can have their curse broken, while the other continues to live the misery we have lived in till the day we get put underground.