Battle

The water was cold and Henry was losing feeling in the lower half of his body. But he kept following the rope, knowing Bedivere needed his help. It just seemed like he wasn't moving. "Bedivere? Are you still there?" he called out.

"Yes." The squire's voice was louder, so that was something. "Where are you?"

"I'm not sure. Can you tug on the rope?" The rope rubbed against Henry's hand and he started walking again. "Thanks! Keep doing it, please."

The rope started to rub his hand raw and Henry prayed there wasn't a drop off in the lake as he kept wading through the cold, murky water. Something slimy wrapped around his ankle and he prayed it was algae or a water plant, not anything that could eat him.

A dim light caught his eye and he hurried toward, hoping it was where Bedivere was. Indeed, a human form was shadowed by the light and it held out a hand to Henry. He smiled, taking it. "I thought I'd never reach you!"

His feet hit the sandy shores of the tiny island in the middle of the lake. A tall stone was erected on the island, the dim light coming from atop it. Rope was tied around the base of the stone, right around a struggling Bedivere. The man was also gagged but he was trying to warn Henry about something.

Turning, Henry ducked a blow from the shadowy-form. He grabbed his knife and lunged at it but it passed through the form. Eyes growing wide, he hurried to Bedivere's side and took out the gag. "What's that?"

"That's the creature that guards the Holy Grail. It keeps those that are unworthy from getting it," Bedivere said.

"You found it?" Henry looked up the stone. "Is the Holy Grail up there?"

Bedivere nodded. "But I don't think I'm worthy."

"And that's why you called me out here? Because you think I might be worthy enough to get past that?" He pointed to the shadow monster, which now hovered by them.

"No, I called you out here to help me," Bedivere said. "But when you started to get closer, it appeared. I think you now have to challenge it."

Henry felt the blood drain from his face as he broke into a cold sweat. "Me? I don't think I can."

"You say believing in people is your thing, right?"

"Right," Henry replied.

"So believe in yourself. You're just as much a hero as your family. Trust your instincts," Bedivere told him.

Henry nodded, taking Bedivere's sword. "May I borrow this?"

"I was about to insist you use it."

Brandishing the sword, Henry stood and faced the shadow monster. "I just want to take my friend. Please let me do that."

The creature rushed toward him and Henry closed his eyes, holding up the sword. When nothing happened, he opened his eyes again. The monster floated a few feet away from him, rebuffed but not stopped.

"You can do it, Henry," Bedivere called out. "I believe in you."

Bolstered by this, Henry darted forward and slashed at the monster with the sword. It did little to hurt the thing and instead, it grew larger. He glanced down at the sword before tossing it to the side.

"What are you doing?"

"Attacking it only makes things worse," Henry replied. "I'm going to try something else. Trust me."