Bound By Blood: 37. Happy Birthday

"Mom, I don't know, I really don't feel so well."

"Honey, it's your birthday, you are eighteen today! We have to see you!"

"I'm being serious, I have a really bad fever and I don't want to give it to you or dad. Just let me rest today and maybe I will come home this weekend." She sighs on the other line.

"Okay, I love you and feel better."

"Love you too." I hang up while walking back to Jill who just stares at me during my conversation with my mother and I had from far. Today is Thursday and it's my birthday. It doesn't feel like my birthday which is upsetting. I lied to mom that I'm sick because I don't want to see her or dad. I really don't want to celebrate my birthday with no one except... Xavier. I know it's hard to say but I miss him.

Jill and I are in the gym after school and students are decorating. No vampires decided to show up and help except humans so there isn't any trouble occurring.

"Should we get this started?" She asks me with excitement and I nod to her. She hands me a box full of decorations and I carry it while she climbs up a ladder.

"So who are you going with tomorrow?"

"I'm going with Sean." She says back while I hand her some decorations that are in the box I'm carrying. She puts tape on them and sticks them on the windows.

"Oh that's cute." I say and she starts to laugh.

"Yeah, I'm wearing a dark green dress with gems on it and Sean is wearing a black tux with a matching green tie."

"You will look beautiful in it."

"Thanks, Diana. I just wish Madison was still here and you coming tomorrow." I bite my bottom lip while handing her another decoration. I gaze at the ground and I nod to myself. If only she knew what kind of mess I'm in. If only she knew I can die any second.

"Me too." I whisper low so she doesn't hear.

Jill was nice enough to drive me home after decorating for three hours in the gym. The theme Night was very different and dark but it turned out pretty well. I got exhausted after decorating so when I got home, the sun was setting to it's dark haze. I sat on the couch and turned on the television, watching some cartoons. Today is my birthday and I lied to my parents and now I am sitting on the couch like a little kid. I bring my knees up to my face and I rest my head on them.

I close my eyes and tears start to roll down my eyes.

"Happy eighteenth birthday, Diana." I say to myself. "May this age not be your last." I pray, slowly sliding down to on the couch to a laying position. I curl my hands under my face and I wince in sadness. Eventually, my tears have dried and I have fallen in a deep sleep.

I wake up and it's night out. The TV is still playing cartoons and it's silent except the heat radiating air out of the vents. I rub my face and I sigh, realizing that I have been sleeping for two hours. I drag my feet up the stairs and to the bathroom to shower. After getting out, I walk back down the stairs to get something to eat from the kitchen. Suddenly, I hear the front door open and slam shut. I look at it but no one is there. Did I not lock it when I came inside? Oh fuck.

I look around the small house but no one is around. Was I imaging it? I go back in the kitchen and I see a birthday cake on the granite counter. I walk closer to it and it say's happy birthday. I can't help it but smile because who would bring this? Suddenly, I hear something behind me and I turn around quickly. I gasp in shock and I cover my mouth because I'm so surprised.

"Happy birthday, Diana." Alexander says with a smile on his face. I look in his pale eyes and I run to him, hugging him tightly. He laughs, hugging me back with a squeeze.