Chapter thirty five: old acquaintances

I swear everything out in the world is just there to threaten my babies. We walk around the park that is a five minute drive from our house. Justin is pushing the stroller and I am just watching for anything bad. I feel an arm wrap around my waist causing my heart to jump.

"Babe, it's just me." Justin says cautiously. I put a hand over my heart leaning into his touch.

"Sorry, it just scared me. Do you see all the dangerous stuff around?" I ask him. I look at him as he chuckles.

"Nicole, you have to relax. This is the world they are going to be growing up in. It will be fine." He tries to reassure me. I look around and see a young boy playing with his dog.

I smile and look to another group of kids playing tag. They all seem to be having fun and enjoying the outdoors. I look to the playscape to see kids having the time of their life.

"I guess you're right." I sigh. We walk to a bench and take a seat. Austin starts to cry I go to pick him up, but Justin beats me to it. I watch as Justin carefully picks him up and holds him in his arms.

He talks to him quietly causing Austin to grin widely. His little head is covered by a hat that is black just like his jacket. "I think he's hungry." Justin says smiling at me. I nod my head and get a bottle and hand it to him. "Thanks." He smiles kissing my cheek. He puts the bottle to Austin's mouth and he takes it.

I peak in to see Olivia who is still sleeping. I lean against Justin's arm looking around enjoying the outdoors. It's been forever since I have been outside like this. I've always been with the kids.

"Nicole? Is that you?" I hear an all too familiar voice ask. I turn around and face her. Ally walks towards us smiling, but no baby in her arms. Justin looks up as she reaches us and smiles at her.

"Hey Ally." Justin greets.

"I see you two are still together." She says looking between us. We nod our heads and she looking down to Austin and I can see her eyes become glassy. Olivia starts to cry and I pick her up holding her close. "Twins?" She gasps.

"Yeah. This is Austin and that's Olivia." Justin says with pride in his voice. I smile at that and look up to see Ally looking jealous. I look at Justin who looks at her with sadness.

"Ally, are you okay?" I ask gently. She snaps her head to me.

"No, Nicole I am not okay. You don't know what it's like to give your baby to a couple you barely know." She says with anger as a tear slips from her eye.

"I'm sorry you had to do that." I say with sincerity. "But that was all up to you. What was best for your baby. For us it's different." I try to explain. She nods her head sighing.

"I know. I'm sorry for how I treated you in school." She says. I smile at her seeing how she really meant it.

"I'm sorry too." I say. She smiles at me before looking to Justin.

"How is it like being a father?" She asks. He smiles down at Austin in his arms.

"It's great, sometimes stressful, but mostly great." He says.

----

We get home after walking around the park for a little longer. I get in and shut the door behind Justin. I walk up to him and wrap my arms around his waist. He tenses for a second before his body relaxes.

"I'm taking us out tonight." Justin says. I let go and he turns around.

"We are taking them out again?" I ask looking at him confused. He chuckles shaking his head and kisses my forehead.