Red

I lay down on the tatami mat and continue to stare at the sky as the sun gave off vibrant reds in its last moments in the sky. "Heh," I smirk and stare at the sight. "She really did like that color, huh?"

Flashback

Knock. Knock. Knock.
I groan a little and roll over, still not waking up.
Knock. Knock. Knock.
I toss and turn a little, still not attempting to wake up. I figured if I ignored it, I would be left alone.
Knock. Knock. Knock.
"Oi, Sougo! I know you're ignoring me!"
Oh, I know that annoying voice.
"Hijibaka-san? Why don't you just go die already?" I swear I could hear the veins popping out of his forehead and I imagine his disgusting face scrunch up and get frustrated. I am amused at the thought until I hear him intrude into my room with his same unintelligible complaints. Guess I should wake up now.
"So why did you disturb my sleep, Mayora?" I say with my usual monotone voice and a bored expression on my face.
"That Yorozuya girl is here to see you." He growls back impatiently. To see me, huh? Interesting.
"What's she here for?"
"She said something like she wants to say goodbye to everyone or some crap, she's outside."

********************************

"What are you doing showing your ugly face around here for, China? You'll disturb the public." I say, eyeing her closely to see her reaction. She stands there rather stiffly, not reacting much to what I said. "Ne, you awake? I said 'Wh-"
"Sou-... S-So-...S- Sadist... I wanted to... Um-" She interrupted, but then couldn't find the words to say. What is she trying to tell me? I stand there poker faced, waiting for a response but to no avail.
"What is it? China, at least make an effort to talk normally." She makes a face at me, which is kind of cute, and lets out a frustrated sigh.
"Th-thanks. For... You know... Everything." Taken aback by the unprompted sincerity, I nearly lose my cool.

Moments after saying that, Kagura bursts out crying and wraps her arms around me. "I'm going to m-miss everyone" she sobs. "I don't want to be a-... Away from Gin-chan, Shinpachi, Anego, Tsukki... And everyone else!" Does this include me? She grips tighter and tighter while burying her head into my shoulder.
"China..." I am unsure of what to do. I have a few choices, I could hold her back just as tightly, reassure her, pat her on the back, tell her my feelings as well, but what leapt out of my mouth instead was, "China, you look like a frog, you're a wreck." Shit. Why do I even say these things?

Kagura almost immediately releases her grip and steps back. "A frog?! You're just a dirty tax robber! You look like you got run over by a truck!" She shouts furiously. And so the back and forth insults begin.

The insults shortly progressed into hits and then we began fighting. However, there was something off about this time. Kagura fought more... Intensely than before. And this time, unlike others, I can also admit we both clearly gave it our all.

My shoes were scuffed, my jacket came off, my left pant leg was ripped up badly, and the collared shirt usually worn under my Shimsengumi shirt was torn. Kagura's dress was torn at the bottom and the right shoulder, and her hair pieces came off sometime during the fight, loosening her hair from the usual side buns. Not that I care so much about that... But I've rarely seen her hair down and it's honestly not a bad look for her.

Though the fight lasted for hours, everything happened so quickly I can only recall the blurred sight of red surrounding me. As I lay there in my position, I glance at her to see what is left from our fight once more, and I get an alert stare in return. But everything was the same.
That bright red dress, the fire in her eyes, and those unforgettable vermillion locks; Everything was red. "...China." I look at her, dumbfounded when realizing the vulnerble position I was in. Kagura pinned my arms to the ground successfully with her umbrella pointed at my neck. "When did you get so strong?"

Kagura breathes heavily in and out while looking at me with the same determined look she had in her eyes all throughout the fight. "I told you, Sadist. I'm going to space with baldy so I needed to get stronger." She lifts her umbrella away from me and drops it on the ground and lets herself fall onto my chest and clutches my shirt tightly. Without a word, we both just lay there, almost as though we understood the situation of the other when we've never told each other a thing. Only until the sun nearly set did we eventually leave, without a word.

Present

I grab a pillow and hold it tightly my chest while laying down. And that was our last fight.