Chapter 6

The day was quickly turning into one that Valeriya often dreaded, which felt like most days, but today especially. She dreaded it in a way that burned her to the core in the most painful, gut wrenching sensation she felt to date. It was all emotional, of course, but that didn't mean that what she felt didn't completely cripple her at times. Seeing the body, knowing that the same person stole her photo, and still coming up empty handed killed her inside. Reed was so helpful with everything, as always, but she too was only one person. If Valeriya wanted to find the rock hard evidence she needed, she would have to help too. And, she would... After a long nap.

Reed really did have the right idea when it came to napping after having done her work for the day, passing out here and there around the house. It usually came down between the couch in the living room and the sectional in the basement. Valeriya didn't often nap, but she may as well start now. The velvet black that clouded behind her eyelids helped her drift off, and soon she was in a familiar place. As much as she hated to admit it, the apartment was her favorite place. All of her most innocent, and devilish, memories were stored within those walls. She could see Toni standing at the window, looking out over the snowy landscape. It was nice, this feeling was nice.

Soon the shorter woman's arms wrapped around Valeriya, covered hands ran the length of her back, one tangling in her black hair. Nothing could compare to this, it was the only thing she truly couldn't get from anyone else. Toni's touch. Everything was silent, but not in the way that they weren't talking, it was as if all sound was sucked out of the room. No hints of voice, no breathing, no sounds of the building. It was only touch, and it felt so real.

Every touch bled with passion, it wasn't desperate and quickly paced like their first time had been, back on the boat. Toni's fingertips left a trail of fire wherever they went, and it was amazing. It was complete sensory overload, causing series of electric bolts to shoot throughout her nervous system and straight down her middle. At this point, she didn't even realize she had fallen asleep, until she woke up panting. Her right hand was gripping tightly to her bed sheets. "Son of a bitch..."

These dreams weren't unusual, but they weren't always as welcome. That one didn't have such a negative effect on her as one's in the past did, this one just left her warm and flustered. From the view she had out of her window from her bed, it seemed she slept through the last half of the day, too. That was alright in her books, now it was late enough that she could sit and have a drink for once. Hopefully Reed was awake, maybe they could have one together.

Getting out of bed came easier than it did this morning, her legs actually felt the need to move on command. Soon she was at the top of the stairs, willing herself to move South. It worked so far, and she could hear Reed shuffling around, too.

"You're awake?" Valeriya heard the woman ask from the kitchen.

"I haven't been up this late in awhile, I know, but yes. Here I am." She smiled a little as she stepped onto the cool linoleum tile.

"Thank God, I won't be so damn lonely for once. Got any plans?" Reed inquired with a wide, toothy smile. She always had something going on.

"I was hoping to have a drink to relax with." Valeriya noted, stepping around Reed and going straight for the freezer, pulling out a half empty Crown Royal bottle from where the ice gathered.

"Good, you need it." The short haired woman pointed out, smiling back. "Care if I join you?"

"You don't have anything going on?" Valeriya inquired, raising a shapely eyebrow.

"I was going to go out to the bar, but why do that when I could just stay here and drink with one of my favorite people for free!" She beamed, turning around and leaning up into a cabinet that was almost too tall for her to get a couple of glasses.

"Fair point." The Russian woman agreed and took a glass from Reed, who nearly lost her grip and dropped both of them. Neither of them wanted that kind of mess on their hands. The glasses were filled about a third of the way up in each, just enough to get them started, leaving them sober enough to decide if they wanted to continue drinking or not, but loose enough to feel good.

Valeriya lifted her drink first, smiling as Reed followed suit and clinked their glasses together. "To research."

"To research!" Reed repeated, downing her glass in one fell swoop. It was impressive, but Valeriya was determined to show her up. They each had reputations of being able out drink other's, but they never tried to out drink each other. First times for everything, though.

Not even half an hour later and they were both feeling it. The warmth of the booze and the recognition that passed back and forth between them. It felt good to be able to let loose with someone close. Valeriya gripped her third glass tightly, sipping at it so she wouldn't fall over. She never held alcohol well, but she was really good at pretending like she could. Reed, on the other hand, was on her fifth glass and still going. Each of them were pretty inebriated, but for once it didn't feel like a cloud of upset was following them around.

"Despite everything happening..." Reed started in a breath, walking over to where Valeriya stood leaning against the wall and perching next to her. "I'm glad you're the one that ended up here."

"Me too." The black haired woman laughed, turning to face her slightly shorter counterpart.

Reed took another gulp and leaned hard against Valeriya's shoulder, who responded by resting the side of her face ontop of her head. It made Reed chuckle a little, shutting her eyes for a long moment while the alcohol set into her blood.

"This is nice..." Valeriya broke the silence, her breaths drawing out.

"It is." Reed retorted, shifting a little to glance up at her friend.

The glance caught them both and ended up forming into a 100 yard stare. Valeriya's once calm breaths were quickly picking up, as was her heart rate. Both of them were drunk, and they knew that they shouldn't let the drinks overcome their logic, but as the moment stretched on, their logic began to run out.

It was the crash of glass against the kitchen floor that triggered their bodies to collide at first. All Valeriya could register was desperate lips and a buzzing ringing in her ears. Reed's kiss wasn't like Toni's, it was hurried, but somehow this was pleasant. This felt good, this hard pressure that held her up against the wall and pinned her there. Despite Reed's size, she sure as hell was strong. Their mouths broke apart for just a moment before firm hands found each of Valeriya's cheeks and those lips were back, and then they began to drift.

You know you shouldn't be doing this. The voice in her mind rang out loudly, but she didn't care. After so many months the contact of another was so intensely needed, and it was better Reed than a stranger. Or so she liked to tell herself.

Their rendezvous traveled all the way to the couch in the living room where clothed bodies collided and friction formed. It wasn't until Reed tried to undress Valeriya that they both realized the problem that resided. Valeriya wouldn't let her.

Reed stopped for a moment before resting her hands on Valeriya's shoulders and pulling away, effectively breaking their kiss for good. "Val, stop..."

Blue eyes lifted to meet Reed's, "what?"

"We can't... We can't do this." Reed replied in a breath.

"Why not?" There was a desperation in Valeriya's voice that stung.

"Because you don't really want this, not with me." Her voice fell into a gentler tone, her hands traveling around Valeriya's form, fixing her clothes and hair. She became a little disheveled. After she was properly covered, Valeriya collapsed against Reed with a loud grunt and sigh, curling against the front of her torso.

"Then I just need this... To just lay here with someone other than myself." She mumbled.