Chapter 10

The entire building felt like it was caving in on her in that moment. Everything she had built up inside of her to push away all of this turmoil suddenly burst apart. Every bad feeling took over, sadness, anger, regret, failure. The feelings swam around in her head like poisoned spikes. Nothing was as it seemed. Who could she trust in this building anymore? Everywhere she turned it seemed like someone else was stabbing her in the back. How competent were her workers, really? Barinova had gotten her fucking people past all of her obstacles. Every single one. It was truly amazing how Clyde and the rest of her guardsmen claimed to have seen nothing suspicious, no one coming in or out.

It was an absolute fucking lie, it had to have been.

Valeriya had created her compound in a way that prevented such treachery from pursuing for any extensive period of time. When it came a time that she didn't know who to trust, she would do a culling. She hoped she would never have to throw it into effect, but desperate times called for desperate measures. She trained Clyde to be better than this. He used to be such a good man, but money sometimes blinded the weak. There was no other choice now, it had to be done.

She reached down and unlocked a drawer in her desk, pulling it open to reveal a silenced pistol that she kept there for safe keeping. Admittedly, she was a little shocked that the thief left it there, but she was glad they did. She hoped that she wouldn't have to end it like this, but it couldn't be helped down.

"Clyde?" She called over the intercom, "can you please meet me in my office? It's urgent."

And now she would wait.

It wasn't long until he appeared. He walked in with that same warm smile he showed her everyday. By everything that she believed in, she wished she didn't have to do this. Valeriya remembered everything this man ever told her concerning himself. His family, his former work experiences, some of his childhood. He really was a good man, but she couldn't take the risk.

"What's on your mind, ma'am?" He asked as he sat down across from her, folding his hands in his lap.

She looked at him with a small smile, holding the gun firmly out of his sight as she contemplated if she really wanted to do this. He had a wife, children, even grandchildren. Could she take away their father figure?

She could.

"I'm sorry, Clyde." She finally spoke, "but I have a lot at stake and I can't risk what I've built falling into the hands of someone who would do ill with it."

The time between his reaction and hers was barely a second as she whipped her arm up and put a bullet right in his head. She took in a breath as her gun lowered back down to rest ontop of her desk. Clyde sat lifeless in front of her, blood trickling down the side of his face. It would seem, upon inspection, that she was losing her touch a little. The bullet went in above his right eye, instead of in the middle of his forehead. How disappointing. Even so, now he sat dead and she would have to take care of the rest of the men and women that were loitering about. Sunday was slow enough, so this should be easy.

The next area of interest would be the security central office in the lower wards of the building. The only real benefit of clearing that room out next would be so that no one would catch her on the security tapes and try to form a small militia against her or something of the sort.

She searched around for her holster, finding it stashed away in her filing cabinet for a reason she couldn't quite remember. Her gun slipped easily into it as she stepped around her desk and moved past Clyde to leave the office. Valeriya sighed as she walked, rubbing her forehead to try and clear some of the stress that was there. It didn't help much. The elevators came into sight soon enough and she stepped inside, taking them down two floors to the lower ward where her security hub was located. There were about six or so guards littered about, figuring that the best way to do this was to start at the inner most part and work her way out and back to the elevators. Since her gun was silenced, the guards wouldn't be able to hear what was going on inside anyway.