Chapter 14

The cold wrapped around Valeriya with tight arms, nearly making her regret the hurry in which she left. What the hell kind of self entitlement does someone have to have to be so bluntly disrespectful? Ethel Barinova destroyed everything. She was a class A bitch, and now she wanted Valeriya on her team?! It had to be some kind of trick, a trap of sorts. There was no other way to spin her head around it. Maybe the old woman didn't want to just kill her, she wanted to torture her. Yes, that was the only way she would accept the thought of the offer that was just presented.

Thinking about it all made the harshness of the cold seem less effective. The heat of her rage drove her forward through the wintery night with little to no problems. Then again, maybe the coat had something to do with it too. It was hard to be completely sure, but she knew that she also didn't want to be out here longer than necessary. The hotel was still some ways off. The drive itself was a little over twenty minutes, so the walk would be closer to an hour or so.

At her thirty minute mark, she felt it. The cold that felt like it had been ricocheting off of her the whole time began to sink into her skin and make her shiver. It was dead silent out on the road, no one was out, and all the noise that would normally be present had been dissipated by the snow. It was eerie.

"F-f-f-fuck..." Valeriya said through chattering teeth as her steps slowed. She should be used to this, but the warmth of a different country over the last year set in.

Then she heard it.

It was quick, and loud. A single gunshot ripping through the night air. She didn't have time to try and distinguish what kind of gun it was, or where it was coming from as a scream tore from her throat. Valeriya fell to the ground, catching herself on the palms of her hands as blood began to gush from the upper part of her left leg.

Everytime she tried to move in any way, shape, or form another sharp pang of pain shot through her being. She tried so hard to bring herself upright, but the struggling was too much. The pain was too much. At the point that she thought she would black out, she heard it again. Another gunshot, and it hit it in the same place as the last bullet. By now the meat in her outer thigh would have to have been shredded. She wanted to scream, but she didn't have it in her to produce the sound. As determined as she was to fight the pain, she ended up succumbing to it. It surrounded her with a shroud of black, taking away the pain as she fell into an unconscious stupor.

There were several or more times that she found herself briefly waking up, but she couldn't make out anything she saw or heard. Muffled voices assaulted her ears, but what they were saying was completely out of her comprehension level. The lingering pain of the wound kept her at bay for quite some time. The land of the living wasn't meant for her at this moment. For now, she just wanted to sleep, and she would. It was the only thing she was sure about right now, sleeping through the innumerable pain that she would otherwise being screaming about.

When she finally woke up, she was greeted with the same thing she was faced with the night she was shot. Darkness and silence, but far less blood. The pain though, that was still present. Oh God, was it still present... She took in a sharp breath and attempted to reach down to feel at it, but she coudn't move her arms. One hard pull let her know that she was cuffed there, both arms held steady above her head. She wasn't in her dress anymore, either... What the hell? Every part of Valeriya was restrained, from her arms, to the gag in her mouth, to the rope tying her feet together. She could tell, at least, that she wasn't naked. Something was wrapped around her, it felt like some kind of large shirt. Good enough. Valeriya strained herself while trying to shimmy out of her bonds, but with no luck. Of course, she would need a key for the cuffs, but she could at least try to slide the rope from her ankles. That was also becoming impossible. Whoever tied this fucking thing was good.

That thought brought her back to reality to some degree. Where the hell was she, and who shot her? Why the hell didn't they just kill her? She already refused Barinova's offer, she was useless to them now. How long had she been in this bed? A bed... Who's was it? It felt familiar, which was odd. It was only a bed, why should it feel familiar to her?

From what she could tell by looking around the room, it was large and furnished. It was a little too large for just one room... And it looked...

This was her family's mansion.

The fear of everyone her dad had fucked over possibly shooting and tying her up made the panic explode inside of her, spreading all throughout her body. She began to struggle even harder, yanking on the cuffs and slamming her headboard against the wall behind her bed. If anyone had taken over this mansion, which was becoming increasingly unlikely, they didn't change anything inside of it. She was hoping that with enough force the cuffs would break. Unfortunately, the cuffs were in brand new condition and strong.

The only thing that got her to stop was the sound of someone walking outside of her door. She took in sharp breaths, watching the shadows against the light outside. As unnerved as she should've been, the adrenaline pumping through her got her ready for whoever was about to show themselves through that opening.

Why was this taking so long? She could see them moving, pacing, back and forth in front of the door. It was becoming annoying at this point. Whatever they were gonna do, she rather that they'd just get it over with. If they were gonna kill her, so be it. Hurt, torture her, whatever. She just wanted this damn waiting game to stop.

When the door handle finally turned it felt like a millenia had passed, the door only cracked a couple of inches as a figure slipped inside and closed it behind them. The silhouette was feminine, but why were they taking so damn long?! Valeriya was thrashing again as she watched the shadow come towards her, they had something in their hand that they were constantly messing with. She knew what it was as soon as it cocked back. The woman had a pistol, it looked like a large caliber.

The woman didn't utter a word, she just moved through the room until she finally decided to settle at the edge of Valeriya's bed, tapping the barrel of the gun against her wounded leg. It caused her to recoil back a bit, hissing in pain. The stranger reached forward to the bedside lamp, fingering the knob as she pressed the gun hard against Valeriya's jawline.

Then the room lit up, and what Valeriya saw before her made her wonder if this was all some sick joke.

Toni met her gaze with so much hatred, she thought she might fall apart then and there. The gun would leave a bruise at how hard she was pressing against her with it. "I'm supposed to convince you to join up with my boss. For whatever reason she wants you on our team, but no matter how much I refused she wouldn't budge..."

Valeriya tried to speak, but the fabric in her mouth caught all of the noise.

"Shut up!" Toni hissed, shoving the barrel into the woman's neck. "You killed me, and I'm going to get my dues, you bitch."

All of Valeriya's thoughts faded into nothing as she tried to rewire everything she knew over the last year into what was being presented to her now. Toni was here, and alive... And she hated her.