Chapter 23

It took a lot of convincing from Valeriya to even get Sentinal to consider the idea of bringing Toni back in full at one time. The bickering argument between them was borderline outrageous, she didn't understand why he was so god damn against doing this. Of course, there was the factor of Toni burning up but with the right precautions that could be over looked. There were solutions to these problems, but he didn't want to budge on them.

"Just tell me why you don't want to!" She exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air.

"It doesn't matter, I just don't think it's a good idea, okay?! Why do we have to do all of this now?!" He shot back, equally as frustrated.

Valeriya sucked in a breath and pinched the bridge of her nose between her thumb and forefinger. "Why not now?!" She looked up at him. "Why does it have to be later, Sentinal? There is no plausible reason for you to be fighting me on this!"

He began to pace the small room in which she cornered him in, his hands clasped at the back of his head. Was he panicking? It looked like it, but she couldn't fathom why.

"Listen... If this is about the concern for her health, I understand, but we ca-"

"No!" He cut her off, stopping altogether and turning to face her. "Valeriya, she's going to hate me for what I did."

That hit her like a bullet to the chest, causing her jaw to lock and her gaze to become sharp. She couldn't believe that he had the nerve to say that to her, that that was the reason he didn't want to do this. "You're refusing because you're afraid she won't like you anymore?"

Sentinal nodded quietly.

Her pumps clacked against the wooden floor as she made slow strides over to him, getting as close as possible to make sure that he understood fully what she was about to say. "I have dealt with her hating me since I got here. The woman I love, your best friend, wanting to kill me with such a violent passion that there were a couple of times that you stopping her and convincing her otherwise saved my life. I have dealt with seeing the hellfire in her glare for weeks, Sentinal, and you expect me to sympathize with you over the possibility of her hating you?"

"I-I..." His eyes fell and then shut completely as he took in a breath. "I suppose you're right. I'm being selfish."

"Yes." She hissed, "you are. What we're doing isn't for you, or me. This is for her. We're doing this to help her, because she wants to remember. She asked for our help and I told her yes."

He sighed and ran a hand down his face, feeling like he could wipe away the stress with enough pressure. The look on his face was a mix of upset and scared. She knew the feeling all too well, but with everything that they still had to consider for the future, now wasn't the time to be throwing in their fears. They had to be positive and ready, Toni was.

"Sentinal." Valeriya said sternly, looking up at his robust, but rigid, form. "When she comes back to us, I'll make sure she knows you're not here to hurt her." She reached up and placed a hand on his bicep, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "I know how you feel, and she will, too."

"You really think this will work?" He asked, finally looking at her.

"I know it will." She assured.

Meanwhile, Toni was pacing in front of the security panel trying to make sense of everything that was going on. Valeriya didn't kill her, she knew that now and she could feel that the woman was telling the truth. Not only that, they had been in love. Apparently quite deeply, according to Valeriya. That, too, felt real. The way Valeriya responded to the questions and reacted to Toni's answers told her that if she still had all her memory, there would be no change from before, but that was the problem. What was before? If they had slept together then there must have been events that happened before, things that lead up to it, but what?