Chapter 32

Toni escorted Valeriya out of the medical lab slowly, sending Sentinal ahead to scout and take care of anyone that might be lingering. Barinova would have at least attempted to call someone by now, and that wasn't a risk they were willing to take. It was eerily quiet in the building, but that was to be expected at this time of night, but even so, security detail would have to be arranged somewhere. Or, so they thought. There was no one.

"Don't blame yourself for this. I know you are." Valeriya said through struggled breaths, pacing herself at the slow speed the assassin was making them go.

"Of course I'm blaming myself for this. Baby, I shot you, and you almost died!" Toni defended, glancing at the woman tucked underneath her arm.

She only shook her head, returning that short glance with a smile. "That's the key word there, Antonia. Almost. I almost died, but I'm here, just like you. We're here and alive, we'll make it..." A wince came from her lips as they walked, stopping the other woman so that she could lean against the wall for a moment.

"I hope so... I made you live without me once, and I know I couldn't live without you." She clarified in return, bracing her hands on each of Valeriya's biceps to guide her into a sitting position. The look of pain was clear all over her face.

"Antonia," Valeriya breathed seriously, her icy blue eyes drilling into the woman above her. "We will not lose each other again. I won't let it happen, and you won't, but there is still a lot we need to do here... Too much, perhaps." She sighed.

Toni shared in the sigh and continued staring down at her, holding her gaze with the Russian woman. It was unwavering. "Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I would have just let you go back in Russia, you know, when you found me. It would have saved you so much god damn pain."

"No." Valeriya said sternly, shaking her head and looking away for a moment. "I don't believe that."

"How can you say you don't believe that? Look at what's happened to you... I was weak and let my guard down, and you were forced to watch me die, Valeriya! Then I... For fuck's sake, I shot you. I did this!" This was one of the few times that Toni's voice wavered. After all, this woman was really the only one who could make her feel anything so damn deep. Everything they shared was real, passionate, and raw.

"You seem to forget the part where half of what happened was you not knowing who you even were, and the other half was my choice." She shot back, reaching up to grab onto the collar of Toni's jacket and pull her down. "Look at me, Antonia."

It took the fleeting moment of shame to pass before Toni could bring herself to look at Valeriya, she had brought them within inches of each other. It took her by surprise, but only a little. The look of defeat and past demons were riddled in her green eyes, making Valeriya sigh slightly as she searched them, but she softened.

"Now listen to me, alright?" Her voice came in a coo, trying her best to soothe Toni despite being in so much pain. "It was my choice, and I chose you. I will always choose you. Don't you remember when we talked about this before, darling? You gave me something so brand new I didn't know what to do with it for the longest time... I was lost, but intrigued. Scared, but so excited." She paused, still searching those gorgeous eyes that made her fall so hard in the first place. "Antonia, I love you."

Tears flowed freely from Toni's eyes as she knelt down and leaned into Valeriya, wrapping her hands around each of the woman's wrists as she spoke. It all rung true and left her heart feeling warm. "I love you, too, Valeriya. More than anything."

"Good, because darling, it will always be you. Just you." She assured, lifting her hands to rest them on Toni's cheeks, her thumbs rubbing over the curve that was there. It was soft, warm, and damp. "This is simply the life each of us were born into, and I know that we can make it work. Life is about experience, not about what's behind us, and I want to experience it all with you. Now..." She took in a breath and adjusted herself, pulling her hands away from Toni's face to brace one on the wall behind her and help herself up, getting assistance a moment later by the assassin at her side.

Toni stood stone like, staring at the woman in front of her as she stood up, almost matching their height. Her eyes never left the shape of her lips, or the glint of determination in those blues. No, it never left any of those striking features that kept her captivated every minute of the day. Every good feeling swam around in her body, making her step forward and grab hold of Valeriya's hands. They were about to run back into Hell, and she was going to make sure that this time it was worth it. Her lips came crashing against the other's with such a passionate force, that it sent a shockwave through them both. She didn't want to address the way her lip quivered when she dove in to kiss her, or the way that all the warmth in her body shot outwards. Toni wanted to enjoy this moment, breathe it in. She wanted to take it like a drug and ride off of the high it offered, using it as leverage to eliminate Barinova once and for all.

Labored breaths sounded out, passing between them both after pulling away. They could only stare at each other in pleasantly shocked silence as they reeled from the kiss they had just shared with one another. It filled each of them with so much hope that, for once, each of them felt like this endeavor wasn't doomed to fail. Valeriya and Toni, with Sentinal's help of course, could do this. They would do this, and they would win.

"Darling, let's go." Valeriya said proudly, taking Toni by the hand and managing to over come the pain to lead them to the elevator. "We have to finish this, because no one else has the capability to."

Toni followed toe in toe, gripping the woman's hand as they made their way down to the end of the corridor together. The steel elevator doors came in sight soon enough, and they were really going to do this. "Are you ready once we reach that third floor?"

A slow smirk spread across Valeriya's face as they entered the small box, staring at Toni with something akin to mischief. She looked calm and collected, but deep down the anger welled in her eyes over who they were about to face. Anger and determination drove her forward to this, and something else, too. One other thing made her want to end this all the more. Valeriya parted her lips and looked at Toni with such a fierce look. "As ready as you were when you asked me to marry you."