Chapter Two

*Edited 05/01/2018

Nina POV

Cutting through the town was either a really really smart idea, or a really really stupid one. I wasn't sure which one it was quite yet.

Although the town wasn't huge, there were a lot of shops that I could duck into if I thought my mate was close. My anxiety was too high for my liking which made it difficult to think straight. Instead of acting on instinct I was acting impulsively, which was dangerous. It could cause another slip up, and this time I might not be lucky enough to escape.

Stay focused, use what you have to your advantage, I thought to myself.

Then it clicked. I couldn't believe I didn't think about this earlier. It seemed so simple, yet it was genius. I'd use the crowd to hide myself, not the shops. I could easily get cornered in a shop, but if I'm surrounded by people they would have a harder time catching me. Especially with my scent hidden.

Use my height to my advantage, all five foot three inches of it.

It was times like this that I didn't loath the fact that I was considered a runt amongst my kind. It made all the times I was ridiculed and picked on disappear. I had the ability to easily blend in with these humans, that was something very few werewolves could do. The males easily towered over human males, and female werewolves were basically the same height as average human males. I, however, could shuffle through a mob of humans and no one would think anything of it.

Pure genius.

Get through the town, find some woods, run like hell. I repeated over and over again as I weaved through the Saturday traffic of people that occupied the sidewalks.

As I maneuvered my way expertly through the towns-people I felt the hair on the back of my neck start to prickle which meant I wasn't too far from my mate. I picked up my walking pace a little more, I couldn't full blown run because that would raise some suspicion and he would be able to spot me quicker.

"Fuck," I mumbled to myself.

I could feel his energy assaulting me, in my already weakened state it was almost too much.

Keep moving, he doesn't know where you are yet. Move faster, I told myself urgently.

The gnawing feeling in my stomach told me the end was near. A sixth sense that just knew something bad was going to happen and it was going to happen soon. I wanted to give up, call it quits. My body was about to give out anyways so I might as well just wave my white flag to the enemy and accept my fate.

But screw that idea. I'm Nina Williams, and I do not give up.

That feeling in my stomach grew, and so did my anxiety. I continued to weave in and out of the crowd, trying to find an escape from this city and my impending doom. There had to be a way to lose them again...but how?

They'd be expecting me to run, that's all I've been doing since they caught sight of me months ago. Maybe I should stay...hideout somewhere in the town and wait for them to leave. Or I could retrace my steps and head back to the diner.

Heading to the trees would be obvious, but heading back to where they first caught wind of me in this town would not be something they'd be expecting. I'd lose a few miles but it was probably the best shot I had at losing them. It would be worth the lost miles if I lost them sooner rather than continuing to play this hide-and-seek game we currently had going on.

With that thought in mind I quickly turned myself around and started heading back to the diner. I was hyper-aware of keeping my scent hidden, but with my growing exhaustion it was difficult to keep up the mental capacity to hide it.