Chapter Sixteen

(This chapter is completely unedited. Please ignore all the spelling and grammatical errors that are bound to be throughout the chapter. It's getting late and I wanted to get it posted for you guys! I'll edit it in the future(: Enjoy everyone!)

**Edited 12/13/2016

Jaxon's POV

I couldn't take my eyes off her. I feared she'd be gone again at any moment. I couldn't risk wasting even a second of my time with her. As I stared at her, I memorized every feature about her; the fire that filled her eyes, the way she carried herself, the delicate way she held her facial features in a composed manner, the way she tried to ignore my presence. The last one made me laugh because no matter how hard she tried to ignore me, I knew she was hyper-aware of me. I burned every detail of her into my memory and safely stored them away.

Nina, myself and six other women from her pack were crammed into my SUV. Rilynn was currently driving, and Nicki was her co-pilot as she sat in the passenger seat. I was taking over the driver's seat once night began to fall over us.

Jason was expecting us around 6 o'clock tomorrow morning. The two of us collaborated on a team for Nina and I to bring with us while we hunted down the rogues that took Keiva. I still wasn't sure how we were going to keep her rank a secret from my pack. The way the girls looked at her would be a dead give away. Hell, even the power that radiated off her was enough for anyone to tell she was an Alpha. The only explanation I had for no one noticing the power she possessed the first time she was on my territory was because of the lose of her wolf.

"I know I said you could stare at me for the 20 hours we'd be in the car, but I was joking." Nina said with annoyance clear in her voice.

Even after she said this I still didn't remove my gaze from her. Instead, one side of my mouth turned up into a smirk. "Well you should've specified that earlier."

Her eyes narrowed slightly. "The joke was implied."

I shrugged my shoulders, "Guess it wasn't implied well enough." Nina's lips formed a tight line and she didn't respond back. As much as she was a pain in my ass, I had to admit to myself I loved our constant bickering. She was the only one who knew how to press my buttons, and she was the only one who dared to defy me. The spunk she had was intoxicating. Everything about her called out to me, to my wolf. My lips craved to caress her entire body with ki-

"Will you please stop thinking whatever thought you are currently thinking? Your emotions are suffocating me." Nina said through clenched teeth.

A small chuckle left my lips, "I'd say I'm sorry, but I'm not." At the mention of her feeling my emotions, I tried to tune into hers. But I came up with nothing. She's blocking them from me, I thought, a little annoyed by her actions. "You're blocking your emotions from me. Why?" My voice became a little hard.

"Because." Her answer was short and final.

I narrowed my eyes and continued to stare at her. I was attempting to gage her mood, which was impossible to do. NIna always seemed impassive about everything except for her pack. When she talked about her pack her gorgeous honey eyes filled with a light that I was jealous about. I wanted her eyes to light up like that when she saw me, when she talked about me, when she thought about me.

It was useless trying to key into what Nina was feeling so instead I tried to get her to tell me her reason behind shutting off her emotions from me. "Tell me why." The other passengers in the car were forgotten.

She turned towards me. "Because I can. I had no say in this." Nina pointed to my mark that painted her skin. "But I at least have a say in my emotions not being available to you."