Chapter 1

“We can’t just LEAVE THEM!!” Katniss crys

“Katniss, it’s ok.” Peeta murmurs

“NO! IT’S NOT!” She shouts. Peeta opens his arms and she falls against him.

All this started when I got another letter from Johanna. It was brief as usual and said that the Hunger Games are being reintroduced, doubly brutal in punishment for the uprising. 48 tributes, 1 winner. I was reading it to Tobias and Katniss overheard me. It was as if she was remembering what was going on suddenly. She won’t drop it and she hasn’t been the same since.

“It’s ok.” Peeta repeats and this time Katniss doesn’t even protest, just weeps bitterly.

Peeta runs his fingers through her hair and her shoulders start to heave less violently.

“I can’t bear it, seeing her like this. Can’t we help them?” I ask Tobias later, sat in his apartment.

“How do you propose we do that?” He asks, putting an arm around me.

I tuck my feet up under me and huddle into Tobias on the sofa.

“I dunno. Couldn’t we just fight with them, against their Government?” I say

“You and what army?” Tobias laughs.

There’s a long silence while I think.

“THE DAUNTLESS!” I yell so suddenly that Tobias starts. I jump to my feet. “ALL THE FACTIONS!”

Tobias looks serious.

“You’re not joking?” He says.

“Deadly serious.” I reply instantly.

“It would take lot’s of work and a lot of cooperation from the other factions.” He explains.

“I know, but you’re a leader, so couldn’t you ask?”

 “Ok, I’ll try. No promises.” He sighs

“I just want to help!” I explain.

“I know, Tris, don’t get me wrong. I want to help too. I just need to do it the right way, you know?”

“I know.” I reply.

“And don’t tell anyone until it’s given the Ok.” He warns.

“Alright.” I promise and curl back up by him on the sofa again.