19: Death March

Dum
Dum
Dum
Dum-dum
Dum
Dum
Dum

The drums drowned out everything else. We marched to the beat, inside we were telling ourselves to run, run, run. Get out of here. Quick. Run. We smiled a masochistic smile. We could almost hear the blood rushing down the streets, chasing us and drowning us. It was at our ankles. Someone was speaking over the never ending drums. Then the drums abruptly stopped, the sound still ringing in our ears. It was at our thighs. I couldn't hear anything but the blaring in my head and feel the imaginary blood sloshing at my waist. We were walked up some wooden stairs. The sun glared at us easier here. It was at my hips. Something coarse was shoved over my neck. The birds stopped singing, they seemed to become part of the the silent watching audience. Run, run, run. Quick. Get out of here. At my breasts. The sun was screaming with the voices. Run, run, run. We smiled a masochistic smile. The rope, one thing I had identified, was tightened. This was it. My death march stopped here. The screaming intensified. At my shoulders. I took a deep breathe and I let the blood fill my mouth and lungs, as the floor let out under me. The screaming had reached the crescendo. There was silence. Over my head. Head hung. My death march was over.

Dum
Dum
Dum
Dum-dum
Dum
Dum
Dum