Chapter 1

9:15 PM

9:15 PM.

Aria glanced toward the door. She was a firm believer in the unpredictability of the universe, the uncertainty of everything. Except for this. Any second now, he would walk in through the door.

Of that, Aria was certain.

The boy started showing up at the cafe seven months ago, at the same time every single night. They knew each other from when they went to school. But school felt like a whole different world - it had been so long since she'd been pulled out. Aria might have missed it if it hadn't ended up becoming what it did at the end.

Aria was always nervous he would recognize her - she was nervous she'd be caught and dragged back to the facility she escaped from because who knew what the boy thought of people like herself.

The door jingled and Aria looked up, forcing to meet the boy's smile with a straight face.

"Hey," he said, rubbing his hands together, hurrying over to the counter. There wasn't any wait or anybody else in the cafe at the hour, but he kept his voice low like he always did. "Can I get a hot chocolate?"

Aria turned to grab a cup and he raised his voice the slightest bit to say, "For Klaus. The order is for Klaus."

She nodded like she didn't remember, like he didn't tell her his name every night.

This was routine. This was something comfortable. He would pay with cash and wait for his drink, take it and then drink it slowly, not leaving until it was time for her to close up.

It was routine until two men slipped in through the door five minutes before closing with cheap suits and government badges clipped to their belts.

Klaus stayed in his seat, sipping his drink without sparing them a glance even when one of them pulled out a chair to sit at his table.

When the other man approached the counter, Aria didn't have to stop herself from fleeing. She was a deer caught in headlights with shaking hands and empty lungs.

"Two black coffees, please."

She just nodded, forcing herself to move, to start on their drinks. This was a coincidence, nothing more. They didn't know who she was or what she was. All she had to do was give them their drinks and they'd leave.

"Miss Sana?"

Right. Sana. She was Sana now. That was what was on her name tag and what was on her ID. She needed to respond.

"Miss Sana?"

Aria glanced over.

"Would you bring them over when they're done?"

She nodded, turning back to the drinks, straining to listen to whatever they might be saying. All her ears could catch was Klaus' soft humming.

The door was right by their table, she told herself. She had an exit if she needed to run. She could tell them to screw off if she wanted and if she did it right, they'd walk right out the door whether they wanted to or not.

If they knew who she was, they would have made sure she couldn't speak already. Cut out her tongue and dragged her out. But they hadn't, so they didn't.

I'm safe.

Aria snapped the lids onto both cups of coffee.

I'm safe.

Aria walked to the table, trying to keep her hands steady as she set down the drinks. Nothing spilled. Nothing gave away her unease.

I'm safe.

The man that had placed the order held out the cash to pay and she reached out for it. His hand snapped around her wrist and yanked her forward, pressing a gun to her hip.

"Join us, Miss Sana. Lets talk."

Not safe.