Chapter 2

Alexander Torres had developed a nasty habit of picking up strays

Alexander Torres had developed a nasty habit of picking up strays. It wasn't like he went out looking for them, he just found them. Or maybe they found him. Whatever it was, there was a beat-up dog nipping at his shoes, wagging his tail despite Alex's lack of reaction upon meeting him.

No collar. Looked to be in rough shape. Like he'd been tormented and then abandoned on the streets.

"You're not coming with me."

The dog was big with matted brown fur, tongue hanging out of it mouth and he  continued to flop his tail around. His eyes were hidden under too-long fur, but he was staring at Alex, he knew it.

The dog was coming with him.

He knew it. The dog knew it. The universe knew it.

At least the stray wasn't a human this time.

He just wandered in this ally to get to that little cafe Klaus liked to hide in, cutting through was faster than the alternative and it wasn't like anybody gave him trouble. All Alex wanted had wanted to do with his the few hours he had without work was to embarrass Klaus, make him pay for his drink or something. Not find another child.

Alex kept walking and the dog followed after him, sticking to him like glue. The beast might have been roughed up, but he kept up with ease.

It was emptier around here this time of night aside from the occasional Enhanced trying to incopusiculously get to wherever they were headed. There were lots of them around here. They felt safer lately, less of them were being found and dragged out to those god-forsaken facilities.

Cutting through allys and backroads had cut the walk to the cafe in half - the cafe where Klaus was sitting by the window with a big grin and a cop's gun directed at him. Two cops. A girl that looked like the cafe's barista was seated next to one of them.

"Jesus fuck." Alex didn't cross the street to go inside just yet. He gave the dog next to him the sternest look he could as he pulled his pistol out from where it was tucked into the back of his jeans. "Stay here. Wait."

The dog tilted his head, but he remained where he was as Alex crossed the street. He didn't make a sound when Alex threw open the cafe doors bellowing, "Don't start shooting without me!"

The barking didn't start until the gunfire did.