Chapter 15

Things were getting worse

There were rumors floating around that captured Enhanced that were deemed without use were being gunned down by the dozens in facilities and two more of the Elites plants had mysteriously vanished.

There was a station on the radio run by an Enhanced. He often spoke brightly, and tried to supplement some good news with the bad. Nobody knew who he was. This was his first broadcast in weeks and he sounded tired.

"It's not just rumors," he said. "I saw some of those bodies myself. They're burn-"

Eli reached over and switched off the radio, mouth set in a tight line.

Klaus tried turning it back on, but Eli slapped his hand away like a wronged cat. He scowled and turned to Aria, hoping she'd try. She just stared at the radio with troubled eyes.

"No," Alex said before Klaus could speak. "Don't even think about whatever the hell you're about to say."

Klaus deflated like a popped balloon. "I was just going to ask if the Elites have anything to corroborate that."

No answer. That was as good as confirmation and they all knew it.

Aria got up. "Klaus, let's spar."

He nodded.

Noticing Aria's restlessness a few days ago, Klaus offered to spar. He used to be in an after-school martial arts class, back when the world was a little kinder. He remembered she was enrolled for a few years before she was withdrawn by her parents with little warning, just a few months before she vanished entirely.

Although she was rusty, Aria took to it like a duck to water, most forms coming to her quickly and elegantly. When she made a mistake, she worked until it seemed as natural to her as breathing.

Once they were out at their usual spot, Klaus said, "You're thinking about it again, aren't you? Breaking in for proof?"

Aria's hands were clasped behind her back, polite smile unwavering. "And if I am?"

"I'll help."

There was little talking about it after. Probably a good thing since Eli came out to watch them after a while. Klaus knew they were hitting the thirty-minute mark when Aria began to lose patience with him. Her complaints always began around the same time.

"You're still holding back."

"I don't want to risk hurting you," he told her, like he did every day about this very same complaint.

As always, the excuse made her narrow her eyes. Eli stood up and pushed Klaus aside to take his place, motioning for Aria to begin.

Aria brightened immediately.

It wasn't a long fight by any means, but Aria lasted far longer than Klaus expected. She was quick and graceful where Eli was strong. Eli gave her what she wanted, fighting her without reservations. Aria dodged strikes like she was dancing and returned them with impressive speed, but Eli's experience won in the end.