Chapter 4

Eli didn't mind blood

Eli didn't mind blood. Getting her hands dirty was never an issue, it was the part after that sucked. The stuff was thick and sticky - if it got on her clothes, she had to deal with until she could go home for a change of clothes. Today, it would be a while. She'd been sitting in the bosses office for thirty minutes, just waiting for him to show up.

Second-in-command wasn't all that great when she still had to wait for him like she was level one with no worthwhile information.

If she had been the one late, he would have chewed her out for it. But it was him instead and so she had to sit in an uncomfortable chair with sticky clothes with the reek of piss and iron sticking to her.

Honestly. If you were going to pee yourself, the least you could do was warn a girl. Salvage some ounce of dignity. But when you were being tortured, that sort of went down the drain.

So, maybe it's understandable, Eli mused. Her eyes wandered around the office. It was dull - white walls, a desk with a pile of folders and laptop resting on top, and a chair behind it that appeared far more comfortable than the one she was sitting in. There was a file cabinet in one corner - locked. Surprisingly low-tech for a place that held so much sensitive information, but the old man worked that way.

Maybe she should smear blood around the walls. Revenge for making her wait so long. It would make the place look more interesting anyway. The day had been long and the desire to go home and get clean was wearing on her patience.

The door swung open and the old man came in, dressed in one of his usual suits. It seemed like a habit that carried over from his agency days before he went rogue.

The Elites were no CIA, but under his lead they were functioning as if they were. It kept things efficient, but it also kept people like Klaus uneasy at times. The way the Enhanced followed him so blindly, whether it was out of self-preservation or a desire for vengeance or whatever else. Though it wasn't like Eli questioned him either - not out loud anyway. Klaus was the vocal one, much to Eli and Alex's dismay. It was like he wanted to get himself into some awful sort of trouble.

Knox sat down. "Did he talk?"

Eli nodded. "Of course."

"You're a miracle worker."

"I'm also punctual," she said. "He gave names. The feds know about two of our plants inside of their facilities. They plan on grabbing them tomorrow night. And they have no eyes in here just yet."

"You believe him?"

They never lied to Eli. At first, maybe. But then the truth would come out and she could always tell when it was. "He wasn't lying."

Knox let her off after that, but told her exactly how to proceed tomorrow. Their two plants would find a bullet in each of their heads bright and early, and it won't have come from the gun of a fed.