Chapter 12

"Can you stop crying?"

The man strapped to Eli's chair screamed, fat tears rolling down his cheek. His shirt was damp with sweat and the air was heavy with the smell of it even though he'd been there all but fifteen hours. Hardly a hand had been laid on him. "I-I have a kid, please, I gotta-"

"Stop lying."

There was no kid. No family at all. He wasn't the sort of person to keep people around for long. His occupation required time and secrecy.

"For a Hunter, you're very easy to break," Eli said, sitting down in the chair front of him. "Why's that?"

Contempt flash across his face, lip curling the slightest bit.

"You afraid of me? You know what I am, don't you?"

When he didn't answer, Eli slammed the point of a blade between his fingers. His wrists were bound to his chair's armrests. All he could do was squirm and shriek, "I know!"

"And I know what you are. So you must know what I want. You guys really like grabbing people off the streets, don't you?"

"Enhanced aren't people!"

Eli pulled the knife out.

The Hunter watched the blade. "I don't grab inventory. I just find the buyers."

"Just," Eli repeated, acid on her tongue. "You just sell off the Enhanced to scientists or weirdos or whoever the highest bidder is for a quick buck."

"I-"

"I already know you don't kidnap them yourself. You're too chicken for that. " Eli slammed the knife back down, severing his index finger. Her blood sang while he screamed as his own spilled. "I also know you tell other Hunters where to find them, so you're going to tell me where they make the grabs, or you lose a hand next."

"It's not like I have addresses or-"

"Left or right?"

"Fuck you!"

"Eeny Meenie-"

"Listen, I'm not lying. I just send them to spots where they'll find Enhanced that fit our profile."

"Profile?"

"Easy to take, you know? Weak. Younger ones. They hang out together and stick to certain spots. It's like that in every city, even here."

"How'd you find those areas?"

"The first one told us where others might be. Then the next one did. And the next and the next. I send Hunters there."

"I want specifics."

"There's a club called Cison that hires 'em under the table. Enhanced see each other there and think it's a safe spot. Must be half their clients. The Hunters follow them out or make nice and take them whenever the opportunity comes up. They'll follow them out or make them think they're taking them home."