Chapter 31

Klaus had ideas. So many ideas. Most of them had no planning and were likely to end with him dead, so he figured he'd put a hold on those for now. But because he decided to be wise, he wasn't sure what else he was supposed to do.

Klaus did not have the means to break into facilities and stage break-outs. He did not know what places he should target. He did not know when raids when or where raids were planned for. He didn't know anything at all.

There wasn't any way to get solid information. He wasn't sure how to use rumors to his advantage yet. They have him something to go off of, but not enough. Maybe he should've been more friendly with the Elites when he had the chance - maybe he could have had someone feed him information that way.

Klaus settled for hanging out around areas where Hunters were known to linger. Nothing had happened while he was there. It was a good thing, but it also left him feeling useless. How was anyone supposed to get anything done when they were totally solo? Sure, he was helping out a bit, destroying every Republic vehicle he saw, but in the long run, it didn't feel like he was doing anything but costing them money.

Briefly, he considered getting in touch with that bastard, Ian. He might be able to use him to get back in touch with Aria, but apparently, Aria had told him she was already with Klaus. It might endanger her. She wouldn't have lied to Ian if she considered him safe, right?

Klaus chewed the plastic straw that came in his glass of water.

A woman met his gaze from a table over, looking at him like he was an idiot. Klaus stopped chewing, and pretended he'd been sipping his water the whole time.

Maybe he should start interacting more with the Enhanced around him. He'd probably get better information that way instead of just eavesdropping. It couldn't be too hard. He was good at making friends when he was still in school.

While he was lost in thought, the woman from earlier shoved something into his hand as she brushed by him. He looked down at the crumpled sheet of paper, half expecting a number. Instead, his own face stared back at him.

It wasn't even a sketch. It was an old photo of him. He supposed a description of him was enough to go off of, but he hadn't expected to be recognized so easily. Shit, shit.

Klaus scrambled out of his seat and hurried after her before she could get too far, calling, "Wait! Hold up, please!"

The woman stopped when she was outside the building, turning around to face him. She looked to be a few years older, but he was never good at gauging stuff like that anyway. They all probably looked a little older than they were with the constant stress. All he knew for sure was that she was pretty - eyes a startling shade of green against dark skin and brown hair that fell in ringlets around her face.

"Stop hanging out in public areas. You're begging for someone to turn you in. Do you think nobody's recognized you? They were talking about you a few tables over, they're just not willing to turn over someone to the Republic."