Chapter 29

Aria strode through the quiet nighttime streets, a bag bulging with food cradled in her arms

Aria strode through the quiet nighttime streets, a bag bulging with food cradled in her arms. A rare stroke of luck had come her way—she'd intervened when she stumbled upon a vendor faced with an unruly customer. The old vendor was a kind one. She didn't let her leave until she accepted the bag.

Moreover, the vendor hadn't held back. The bag would keep her stomach full for a few days if she did well keeping the bugs away. She'd need to be strategic about what order she ate everything in so nothing went bad though. As she navigated the dimly lit streets, Aria felt a glimmer of contentment knowing that she wouldn't have to worry about food for a while.

The simple act of kindness uplifted Aria's spirits; a rare smile on her lips. Her head had been throbbing lately, a consequence of not eating enough. It was hard to get food with no money and she wasn't hungry enough to steal. The woods provided her enough to keep starvation at bay.

Under the veil of darkness, she made her way back to her camp, footsteps silent on the soft earth. She moved silently, her steps practiced and deliberate. As she approached the edge of the woods, she spotted a young man lying unconscious on the forest floor. His clothes were torn, and he looked battered and bruised.

He was familiar, she realized, staring at him. That kid's brother. Zayd.

It's safer to leave him, she thought as she knelt beside him, checking his pulse and breathing.

She shook him, trying to rouse him from his unconsciousness. "Hey, wake up," she said softly, her voice a mere whisper. He didn't stir, but she expected as much judging by the state of him.

With a deep breath, Aria slid one arm beneath his shoulders and carefully lifted his upper body, struggling with his weight. She grimaced, feeling the strain on her muscles as she half-dragged, half-carried him. Every step was a challenge, the forest floor uneven beneath her feet. She really did need to work on getting stronger.

Gritting her teeth, Aria focused on the path ahead. Leaves rustled beneath their feet as she maneuvered through the dense woods. The weight of the young man slowed her down, but she pressed on, determination fueling her steps. Branches snagged at her clothes, and twigs snapped under the strain of their passage.

When she was back in her camp, she worked the tent open and lowered the young man onto the sleeping bag as gently as she could, her breaths coming in heavy from the effort. She wiped the sweat from her brow.

Setting the food aside, Aria quickly set about making him as comfortable as possible. As Aria tended to the unconscious young man, her eyes flickered over his features. His dark hair was tousled, and his skin, though marred by dirt and scratches, bore a warm undertone.

"Sorry," she said, divesting him of his jacket and pushing up his shirt. "I'll buy you dinner after."

She grabbed her backpack, pulling out the limited medical supplies she'd gotten her hands on. Carefully, Aria cleaned the wound on the young man's chest, her hands steady despite the adrenaline that still coursed through her veins. The gash wasn't as deep as she had initially feared. It was a wound she could manage.