Chapter 8: Picnic

We are currently getting ready for a family picnic at the park. We do this family picnic like once a month, It's like a monthly family tradition that mom came up with. I don't mind it at all as long as I'm with my family.

"Did you put everything in the car, hon?" Mom asks as dad buckles Nate on his seat.

"I already did." Dad answered as he finishes with what he was doing. "Where's Skye?"

"I'm here!" I raise my hand up as I just finished locking the door behind me.

"Did you lock it?" Mom asks before entering the passenger side.

"Done!" I answered jiggling the keys on my hand. I hop inside the car sitting next to Nate who is playing Color Switch on his Ipad.

"Ready to go?" Dad asks finally starting the ignition.

"Yes." We all said in unison.

"Okay, now we fly!" Dad steps on the gas making the car roar.

***

"No Chris! No phone calls." Mom confiscating Dad's phone. We are all forbidden to use phone just until the picnic is over. 

"Just one call, I need to-" He tries to get his phone by reaching it from mom's hand.

"Nope." Mom puts the phone inside the now empty picnic basket.

"But-" Mom shakes her head as she cut off whatever dad was about to say. "Fine." Dad sighs in surrender.

"You too, mister." Mom taking Nate's ipad. "Finish your sandwich." She exchange the ipad in his hand with a sandwich.

"I'm near high score." Nate complains.

"Finish your food." Mom repeats.

"Okay, but can I play with my kite instead after I finish my sandwich?" The little boy sweetly ask his mom.

"Yes you can." Mom handing Nate a glass of juice.

"I'll even play with you." Dad finishing his last bite. "Did you even know that I was the best in kite flying when I was a kid?" Dad starting his When I was A Kid talk that mom says aren't true.

"Really Dad?" Nate looking so impressed from what had dad told him. Mom and I just share a look as the poor boy being deceived by his dad's made up story.

I lean in to whisper at my little brother. "No." He glance at me then to dad with a disappointed look.

"I was!" Dad insisted.

"You were terrible at it Chris." Mom laughing as she exposes Dad.

"I even entered a Kite flying competition." he pointed out with head high proud.

"Your mother told me you entered but lost, you even cried for days not leaving your room." Mom was totally making fun of Dad.

"Nice Rena, you are making me look like a total loser in front of our children." Be pouts as to what his wife said.

Mom placing a hand on top of dad's. "Don't worry darling, you'll always be the best kite flyer in the world for me." Mom kisses Dad's cheek making him smile.

"Really?" Dad raising a brow at my mom.

"Of course." She nodded.

Nate shoves his sandwich into his mouth and stand up. "Can we fly it now?" Nate wiping some crumbs on the side of his lip.

"Yes." Dad exclaims in excitement. "I'll show you how."  The two boys run to the field taking the kite with them. Mom and I were left there sitting.