Arriving at the Potter's

I snap closed the clips on my almost overflowing trunk, shoving the last of my possessions inside with great difficulty and a string of choice curse words. Today I was headed off from Hogwarts to spend Christmas with James and the Marauders at the Potter's home. My mother had happily agreed to palm me off for the holiday, not that I minded. I was to return a week later once the family had left.

I heave my trunk out of the dormitory and down into the common room, Lily had left about an hour ago for prefect duties before she had to board the train. I'd assured her we would say a proper goodbye once we got off the train. After stumbling through the castle with my trunk I finally reached the platform between Hogwarts and Hogsmeade with the last few stragglers, thankful to see several students still boarding the train. Clambering onto the train and stumbling along the aisle, I carefully dodge first years running by, friends hugging and couples snogging slightly too close for comfort. I finally see a tuft of untamed jet black hair through a window and yank open the compartment door.

James was tossing his snitch up in the air beside Remus who was reading a muggle book. Sirius was sprawled out on the seat across and Peter was nowhere to be seen.

"Hey, there you are, what took you so long?" James asks.

"Was packing, left it to the last minute as usual." I grin.

"Really should just get it out of the way," Remus implores wisely.

"Well next time I will, wise wolf," I smirk at him and he just rolls his eyes, the corner of his mouth twitching slightly.

I leant up to the luggage rack and pushed my trunk up over my head, struggling for a moment before it finally slid on. I felt a tug on my jacket before I tumble into the seat beside Sirius, who, of course, was grinning annoyingly.

"Couldn't have helped me with my trunk could you?" I roll my eyes.

"Oh you seemed to do it quickly enough," Sirius replies as he leant up against the window and swung his legs up onto my lap, invading my space with absolute indifference. I give him an irritated sigh, folding my arms across my chest.                                      "Your legs are heavy, get off."         
"Na I'm good, honey." Sirius says without opening his eyes.                                                                 
"Don't call me honey." I glared at his 'sleeping' body.                                                                               
"Sorry, sugar." He says sweetly, sensing my annoyance.

"You are single-handedly one of the most annoying people I know," I grumble as Remus makes a noise of agreement.

"That's why you love me." He replies, leaning forward and squeezing my cheek. I bat his hand away and give him the finger as James groans loudly.

"Stop flirting you two, it's making me uneasy." He sighs, Remus snorts slightly beside him.

I narrow my eyes as he laughs with Remus. Before I can make a sarcastic comment the compartment door slides open and Peter steps inside.

"Hey, where were you?" I asked Peter as he sat down beside Remus.                                                  
"Just went for a walk." He says quietly.
I nod before putting my head in the crook between the wall and door, shoving Sirius' legs off my lap. After a few moments, the Marauders voices became muffled and I fall into a hazy sleep.

"No don't wake them up, this is hilarious."
"She. will. murder. you."

A weird rabble of voices pull me from my sleep and it's only when I open my eyes I realise what's caught their attention. My head is buried in a soft, dark fabric and I'm aware of the faint scent of aftershave and soap. I frown slightly as I open my eyes.